Old October 23rd 03, 09:47 PM
Dan Rae

Default N2PK Network Analyser?

Is anyone building or thinking about building the above very interesting
project?

http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/index.html

If so, I have two printed circuit boards going spare at cost (about $22)....

Dan
ac6ao g3ncr

Old October 24th 03, 12:50 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Is anyone building or thinking about building the above very interesting
project?

http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/index.html

If so, I have two printed circuit boards going spare at cost (about

$22)....

Hi Dan, great project eh? Superb results! Measuring things I never could
before even with the Boonton 250.

W4ZCB

Old October 24th 03, 07:08 PM
John Miles

In article et, rae4
@ix.netcom.com says...
Is anyone building or thinking about building the above very interesting
project?

http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/index.html

If so, I have two printed circuit boards going spare at cost (about $22)....

Dan
ac6ao g3ncr

I may build one to play with it. Paul's documentation is awesome -- I
can well imagine how much work he put into it.

At a glance, though, there are a couple of things I would have (and may
still) do differently if/when I get around to building a VNA:

1) I don't know that I'd use DDS synthesizers for an application like
this. There's no need for serious close-in spectral purity, but you'd
certainly like to have a higher frequency-coverate limit. Also, to
achieve truly-meaningful measurements with an untuned receiver section,
suppression of harmonic content in the test signal might be more
critical than the existing design allows. (Imagine trying to
characterize a high-pass filter with an untuned receiver and DDS
harmonics coming through at -30 dBc.) The latter may not be a concern
if the AD9851's harmonics (and those generated in any subsequent output
buffer stage) are very low in amplitude.

2) Hand-building couplers and bridges doesn't make much sense when
surplus HP8505-era test sets good to 1 GHz+ are as cheap as they are.
If I were only concerned with HF, though, Paul's approach looks fine.

3) There's no excuse for not releasing the source code to the software,
IMHO. A proprietary closed-source DOS app doesn't exactly lend itself
to customization and improvement. In fact, we'll be lucky if this code
even runs on the next generation of Windows. I'd urge Paul to
reconsider his software strategy (assuming I'm not mistaken about it
being closed-source in the first place).

Pretty darned cool project, all in all.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam
Old October 24th 03, 07:08 PM
John Miles

In article et, rae4
@ix.netcom.com says...

Old October 26th 03, 09:14 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Can someone please tell me thw specific model numbers of the HP 8505 era
test sets that have directional couplers, etc that are good for HF.
tnx
hank wd5jfr
"John Miles" wrote in message
In article et, rae4
@ix.netcom.com says...

Old October 26th 03, 09:14 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Can someone please tell me thw specific model numbers of the HP 8505 era
test sets that have directional couplers, etc that are good for HF.
tnx
hank wd5jfr
"John Miles" wrote in message
In article et, rae4