Old October 31st 03, 05:16 PM
David Forsyth

Default Double Cotton-Covered Wire - where to obtain?

Double Cotton-Covered ("D.C.C.") Do they still make this stuff? I would
like to obtain some for winding RF coils for homebrew radio receivers.
Anybody know of a supplier or maybe have some on hand?

thanks,

Dave

Old October 31st 03, 06:09 PM
Michael A. Terrell

David Forsyth wrote:

Double Cotton-Covered ("D.C.C.") Do they still make this stuff? I would
like to obtain some for winding RF coils for homebrew radio receivers.
Anybody know of a supplier or maybe have some on hand?

thanks,

Dave

Both belden and Alpha made it, so I would start with Newark, Allied, or
another large OEM distributor. Also, see if there is a motor rewinding
shop in your area that might use it on small motors. You might pick up a
partial spool at a decent price.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old November 1st 03, 01:24 AM
Avery Fineman

In article , "Michael A. Terrell"
writes:

David Forsyth wrote:

Double Cotton-Covered ("D.C.C.") Do they still make this stuff? I would
like to obtain some for winding RF coils for homebrew radio receivers.
Anybody know of a supplier or maybe have some on hand?

thanks,

Dave

Both belden and Alpha made it, so I would start with Newark, Allied, or
another large OEM distributor. Also, see if there is a motor rewinding
shop in your area that might use it on small motors. You might pick up a
partial spool at a decent price.

I don't think that Belden or Alpha has made that kind of wire for at
least 2 decades. Got both of their big factory catalogs here and
all I find is "magnet wire" in either light or heavy (two coat) plastic
insulation. My new Mouser catalog has only part of two pages
with "magnet wire," both being the equivalent to old "enamel
covered coil wire." Might try the search engine at Digi-Key, but I
doubt there will be any success.

Last I was at a place that rewound electric motors was 8 years
ago and they had only heavy plastic covered "magnet wire."

The old cotton-coverd coil wire was okay 4 to 5 decades ago but
doesn't offer much for coil building except for the cotton insulation
being excellent to absorb shellac that will dry and hold everything
together very nicely. Actually, back in the old days, a ceresin wax
application was more likely to be applied...dried quicker and moved
the product through production faster. I happen to like McCloskey
"Gym-Seal" floor varnish to coat home-wound inductors, solenoidal
to toroidal...it's all petroleum-based, not a polyurethane, and doesn't
come loose in high moisture environments like some polyurethanes.
"Gym-Seal" seems to stick to polyester and polyamide magnet
wire coatings very well.

There's a slight difference in distributed capacity between DCC and
enameled wire, DCC usually being slightly less (any coating applied
over it will change that to not less). Not enough distributed capacity
to worry about in my estimation.

There's a slight difference in inductance for a given coil form dimension
between DCC and enamel-covered, the DCC having slightly less for
the same number of turns. Again, not enough to worry about.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person
Old November 1st 03, 02:11 AM
Michael A. Terrell

writes:

David Forsyth wrote:

[...]

The last cotton covered wire I used was around 1970. I bought a large
spool surplus to make a bunch of heavy duty degaussing coils for early
color TV sets. 300 turns of 17 AWG DCC, double enameled wire that was
surplused by Picker X-ray, and sold to Mendelson's, in Dayton Ohio. They
had hundreds of partial spools, and I think they still had some in 1987,
(The last time I was at their store in Dayton, Ohio) It was still listed
in the last belden and Alpha catalogs I received, but I would have to
dig them out to get the dates.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old November 1st 03, 04:43 PM
J M Noeding

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:11:24 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The last cotton covered wire I used was around 1970. I bought a large
spool surplus to make a bunch of heavy duty degaussing coils for early
color TV sets. 300 turns of 17 AWG DCC, double enameled wire that was
surplused by Picker X-ray, and sold to Mendelson's, in Dayton Ohio. They
had hundreds of partial spools, and I think they still had some in 1987,
(The last time I was at their store in Dayton, Ohio) It was still listed
in the last belden and Alpha catalogs I received, but I would have to
dig them out to get the dates.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Just curious. I got some spools from a friend, but don't really know
when it is an advantage to use the cotton covered wire instead of the
normal enamelled copper wire. Used it for some VLF purposes to make
lower self capacitance of coils, but appying single strand wire was
just to use what was available instead of multistranded wire

73
Jan-Martin, LA8AK
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
--
remove ,xnd to reply (Spam precaution!)

Old November 4th 03, 05:24 PM
Avery Fineman

writes:

David Forsyth wrote:

Double Cotton-Covered ("D.C.C.") Do they still make this stuff? I would
like to obtain some for winding RF coils for homebrew radio receivers.
Anybody know of a supplier or maybe have some on hand?

(I missed the original post.) I think you could get it from either
New England Wire or Kerrigan-Lewis, if you were willing to order a
minimum quantity. The "cotton" will be Dacron or something though.

Otherwise I would look on antique radio websites or find some defunct
equipment to disassemble.

Well, heck, if somebody wants DCC that bad, an old RFC (R F Choke)
is one "source." That old favorite of many moons ago, a 2.5 mHy RFC
was once an all-purpose thing, usually with 4 "pies" of windings and
lots of turns of small diameter wire that had either CC or DCC
insulation.*

I just don't know WHY anyone has to restore some old thingy to the
exact appearance it was supposed to have. Electrons won't care.
If the appearance is very important, just get a bunch of the wire in a
loose wrapping between two fat dowels and spray-paint the wire with
white primer. Primer has the dull surface, doesn't look shiny and
"false." shrug

* A 2.5 mHy inductance and 1000 pFd capacitor resonate very close
to 100 KHz and some way back in prehistory of the late 1940s used
that resonant circuit to make a "calibrator" spritzing harmonics way
up to 29.7 MHz. I did that as a beginner in 1947...then learned more
and got a Bliley 100 KHz crystal for "accuracy." Crude, yes, but a
lot more accurate than those wide-band tuning dials with separate,
uncalibrated "bandspreading" second tuning. Pfui.