RadioBanter

-   -   Why are SMA's so expensive? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/21593-why-smas-so-expensive.html)

Al November 11th 03 08:08 PM

In article ,
W7TI wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:17:28 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

What we need is to get the Chinese factories to start
production. Their copies of well known watches that sell for a few dollars
are a testament to their cpabilites to maintain and keep close tolerance
while being competitive.

This is somewhat OT, but I am regularly amazed at the Chinese ability to
turn out high quality parts dirt cheap. Computer components are a good
example.

Psst... Don't tell them. :-)

You could too if you paid your workforce a buck day.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

J M Noeding November 12th 03 08:42 AM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:50:26 -0000, "Frank Dinger"
wrote:

It is good for many purposes, even up to 432MHz - in spite of what
somebody says. In the local radio club the problem is that they don't
like to solder and even SO239/PL259 means a great problem. Not to
mention a club which went into a very large scale of antenna
installations for CQ-WW contest last year and discovered that some of
the antennas which were put up few days before didn't work any more

===============

There are High quality PL259 connectors with teflon insulation where only
the (gold plated) centre pin has to be soldered .
The braid connection is like an N-connector with a 'flanged braid insert'
.
They are relatively expensive (GBP 3.00 = US$ 4.50) ,yet I have adopted them
as standard for all the necessary 'UHF' connections in the shack.
In the UK these connectors are available from Westlake.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

SO239/PL259 were used in the 60's for radio link equipment on 400MHz,
but it was a prosedure to connect the cables correctly.

I wouldn't choose such connector, my choice would be N-type or Spinner
for cables going out of the equipment, with a limited application of
BNC type. In fact BNC is just as bad as PL-259, and it is seldom
mentioned in AR groups, but rather intermittent above 1GHz. Suppose
most participants on the NG's operates only 2m FM? TNC is far better,
but I don't like to mix up with too many standards. PL259 are good
enough when already installed on proffesional equipment, and only
then.
Inside the equipment I would prefer conhex on lower frequencies and
BNC when impedance is important, SMA on SHF. Also have some equipment
with dezi-fix connectors, but I've never seen much comments on these,
not sure when they are 50 or 60 ohm type

73
Jan-Martin, LA8AK
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/21a.htm
--
remove ,xnd to reply (Spam precaution!)

Allodoxaphobia November 19th 03 02:20 AM

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:06:41 -0500, John Walton hath writ:
with what would appear to be a plethora of devices using SMA connectors,
why are they still so expensive?

Just a guess: Because it is so labor intensive to remove the leads.

HI!HI!
Jonesy

Allodoxaphobia November 19th 03 02:20 AM