Old November 22nd 03, 10:07 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default HP 8640B LF ?

I just acquired an HP 8640B and now I'd like to get rid of my HP 606A but I
need to go below 500 KHz. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with
the HP 11710A or B that they'd care to comment on. I'd also like to know if
there's any other reasonably priced LF sig gen that's stable and has a
calibrated output that I should consider as $150.00 for an HP 11710 seems
kind of high when you can find HP 8640Bs for around $200.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old November 23rd 03, 02:03 PM
Fred McKenzie

I just acquired an HP 8640B and now I'd like to get rid of my HP 606A but I
need to go below 500 KHz.

Hank-

Recently someone mentioned that the 8640B was a UHF signal generator that had
digital dividers for lower frequencies. If that is true, you might be able to
add additional dividers to go lower in frequency. You might have to sacrifice
one of the existing bands, depending on how extensive the modification is.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old November 23rd 03, 04:43 PM
Jim Pennell

To get lowband out of an 8640, I think I would simply add a mixer to the
output of the 8640.

Get a cheap oscillator, one of those computer time base ones, and feed it
into the LO of a double balanced mixer. SBL-1 or some such.

Feed the 8640 into the RF in and then you have your desired lowband on
the IF output.

==============

I'd add an attenuator to the IF output pin, 4 dB.

This way, assuming about 6 dB loss in the mixer, you know the output is
just about 10 dB below what the 8640 output level is and you can use that to
set the lowband output to a known level.

Jim Pennell
N6BIU

Old November 25th 03, 07:34 PM
Atlas

I saw in the application notes for hp that for extending the range,they use
dividers with filters.
An other example was the use of the 5 MHz output as lo for a mixer.
Then use the generator in the range from 5 to 5.5 MHz and feed this also in
a mixer.

Old November 26th 03, 12:44 PM
Jeff Anderson

HP made a downconverter for the 8640B. It's the 11710B.

- Jeff, WA6AHL