Old November 29th 03, 06:17 AM
gudmundur

Default 4 foot vertical for 1.6mhz 100milliwatt tx?

I do sound work at horse shows, and would like to provide my audio source
to vehicles parked at the show. I have a real nice 100 milliwatt input
1.6mhz transmitter which shows about 60 milliwatts of output at 50 ohms.

I would like to build a transmitting antenna that would be 4 feet in length
and having the 3/8 24 thread at the bottom so I can fasten it into my hamstick
mag mount base.

I am thinking a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel 4 feet long, and wrapped evenly
from bottom to top with perhaps #22 wire.

Any idea how much wire it would take to begin to act like a 50 ohm impedance
at the base? Would you solenoid wind it bottom to top, or would it work better
with maybe a 4 inch high multilayered coil at the bottom and 3.5 foot steel
whip antenna.

I am not out to **** off the FCC, and with a mere 60 milliwatts of output
power at 50 ohms, I don't think anyone beyond 300 yards will even here it.
I do however want to be clearly heard on an A.M. car radio anywhere on the
show grounds. There are no local stations on 1600khz, or even anywhere near
it, and since these shows are only in the daytime, I won't be competing with
skywave, or 50kw clear channels.