Old December 17th 03, 02:58 PM
Ted

Default Ramsey FX-146

I'm building a kit that Ramsey doesn't sell any longer. I recently read
the QST equipment review on this radio and found that Ramsey used to
provide a mod kit to eliminate spurious emissions. Ramsey no longer has
that kit and doesn't seem to have any information about the components
or circuit modifications. I've already checked the typical mod sites.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old December 17th 03, 03:28 PM
David L. Foreman

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:58:15 GMT, Ted
wrote:

I'm building a kit that Ramsey doesn't sell any longer. I recently read
the QST equipment review on this radio and found that Ramsey used to
provide a mod kit to eliminate spurious emissions. Ramsey no longer has
that kit and doesn't seem to have any information about the components
or circuit modifications. I've already checked the typical mod sites.
Anyone have any ideas?

http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/ramsey-mod.htm

Check out this URL for mods to the 146

Old December 17th 03, 03:59 PM
Ted

wrote:

I'm building a kit that Ramsey doesn't sell any longer. I recently read
the QST equipment review on this radio and found that Ramsey used to
provide a mod kit to eliminate spurious emissions. Ramsey no longer has
that kit and doesn't seem to have any information about the components
or circuit modifications. I've already checked the typical mod sites.
Anyone have any ideas?

http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/ramsey-mod.htm

Check out this URL for mods to the 146

I had looked at that one already most of the links are broken. The TX
mod isn't there unless I missed it

Old December 17th 03, 11:11 PM
john graesser

"Ted" wrote in message
I'm building a kit that Ramsey doesn't sell any longer. I recently read
the QST equipment review on this radio and found that Ramsey used to
provide a mod kit to eliminate spurious emissions. Ramsey no longer has
that kit and doesn't seem to have any information about the components
or circuit modifications. I've already checked the typical mod sites.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'd say get rid of that piece of junk and get the Tentec 2 meter radio kit,
I built the 6 meter version and it went together like a charm.

Someone here locally had the Ramsey 440 kit, and after building it and
finding that it wouldn't work found out that the design was flawed from the
start and it could never work.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Old December 18th 03, 05:29 AM
Dana Myers

john graesser wrote:

I'd say get rid of that piece of junk and get the Tentec 2 meter radio kit,
I built the 6 meter version and it went together like a charm.

The ten-tec kits look way better but I've never built one myself...

Someone here locally had the Ramsey 440 kit, and after building it and
finding that it wouldn't work found out that the design was flawed from the
start and it could never work.

But I did build and test an FX-440. It can work but not very
well. If you ever hear one on the air, listen to how higher the
background noise on the modulation is, the result of using a fairly
noisy op-amp audio chain to directly modulate a VCO with a
sensitivity of like 10MHz/1V... It's no better than a toy.

Good luck.

Dana

Old December 18th 03, 02:57 PM
Ted

john graesser wrote:
"Ted" wrote in message

I'm building a kit that Ramsey doesn't sell any longer. I recently read
the QST equipment review on this radio and found that Ramsey used to
provide a mod kit to eliminate spurious emissions. Ramsey no longer has
that kit and doesn't seem to have any information about the components
or circuit modifications. I've already checked the typical mod sites.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'd say get rid of that piece of junk and get the Tentec 2 meter radio kit,
I built the 6 meter version and it went together like a charm.

Someone here locally had the Ramsey 440 kit, and after building it and
finding that it wouldn't work found out that the design was flawed from the
start and it could never work.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to build the Ten-Tec next,
this was a step towards gaining some experience with kits, but thanks
anyway.

Ramsey FX-146 Ted Equipment 14 December 22nd 03 09:41 PM
Review: Ramsey HFRC-1 WWV receiver kit Tim Shoppa Equipment 4 September 8th 03 03:20 AM
Review: Ramsey HFRC-1 WWV receiver kit Tim Shoppa Homebrew 2 September 7th 03 02:45 PM
Review: Ramsey HFRC-1 WWV receiver kit Tim Shoppa Equipment 0 September 6th 03 08:52 PM
Review: Ramsey HFRC-1 WWV receiver kit Tim Shoppa Homebrew 0 September 6th 03 08:52 PM