Old December 20th 03, 08:49 PM
Lenny Wintfeld

Default Need info from old Mini-Circuits (MCL) Catalog

Hi

I've got some nice MCL UNCL-R1H-2 mixers from Mini-Circuits that I
finally have a use for.
MCL's current catalog lists the UNCL-R1 specs and a google shows the
general specs of the UNCL-R1H variant (17 dbm LO instead of 7dbm) but I
can't find anything on the -2 variant (UNCL-R1H-2.

If you have an old MCL catalog could you look it up for me and let me
know what the difference is (or send a list of the relevant specs).

TIA & 73,
Lenny W2BVH
Old December 20th 03, 09:38 PM
kenneth scharf

Lenny Wintfeld wrote:
Hi

I've got some nice MCL UNCL-R1H-2 mixers from Mini-Circuits that I
finally have a use for.
MCL's current catalog lists the UNCL-R1 specs and a google shows the
general specs of the UNCL-R1H variant (17 dbm LO instead of 7dbm) but I
can't find anything on the -2 variant (UNCL-R1H-2.

If you have an old MCL catalog could you look it up for me and let me
know what the difference is (or send a list of the relevant specs).

TIA & 73,
Lenny W2BVH

usually when mini circuits puts a dash number on their parts it is to
indicate a different frequency range for that part. The H variant indicates
a different signal level as you noticed. In the case of other mixer
parts the
-2 variant was a higher frequency part.

Old December 21st 03, 09:12 AM
Pete KE9OA

Many times, they also do that when they make a special part for a customer.
When I was at Rockwell, we had some MCL parts that were identical to the off
the shelf part, except that they were screened for closer tolerances.

Pete

ganews.com...

Old December 21st 03, 05:31 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Many times, they also do that when they make a special part for a customer.
When I was at Rockwell, we had some MCL parts that were identical to the off
the shelf part, except that they were screened for closer tolerances.

Pete

Were you involved with either the SVR-4F or 55U3-1SC C-band
commercial Satellite receivers? A CATV company I worked for had piles of
the SVR-4F receivers that I repaired at our Cincinnati Ohio system. They
were shipped to me from all over the US because of the long turnaround
time for factory service. I still have a few parts from units that were
too expensive to fix. I have 10 Microwave Associates 3.4 to 4.2 GHz
isolators (7K75Z) sitting in front of me from the five units I scrapped.
I think I still have a number of modules for the 55U3-1SC in a box out
in my shop.

--
4 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old January 5th 04, 08:40 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Michael,
I was in the Synthesizer Group, so I didn't have my hand
in those projects that you mentioned.
Pretty cool, on those microwave parts that you have on hand.
I used to find those kinds of cool things when I visited the Rockwell
Inventory Disposal store. I need to get out there again...............

Pete

Old January 5th 04, 02:33 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Hi Michael,
I was in the Synthesizer Group, so I didn't have my hand
in those projects that you mentioned.
Pretty cool, on those microwave parts that you have on hand.
I used to find those kinds of cool things when I visited the Rockwell
Inventory Disposal store. I need to get out there again...............

Pete

I started repairing the Collins/Rockwell receivers in self defense.
They decided that we had to rent a loaner from them, or they wouldn't
repair our equipment. They charged $150/month rent, and took over six
months to fix a receiver. The typical bill was over $1200. I had the
manual, so I popped one open and found the first LO was fried. Rockwell
told me the microwave transistor was 1500, minimum ordered of 18 parts
because it was out of stock. The transistor was a die mounted to a gold
stud, and covered with a drop of epoxy, and no part number. New
Microdyne LPR receivers were right at $1000, and worked a lot better so
I told them to forget it, that we were going to repair what we could,
and replace them with the LPR units, when we had to. I fixed most of
them in under one hour bench time, and less than $20 in parts. The
biggest problem with them was they ran way too hot, and over a five year
period, the circuit boards developed a large black spot in the center of
the board as they cooked themselves to death. Still, it was my first
work with solid state microwave equipment.

I found a VCO board for a Microdyne synthesizer in my junk the other
day. They had used the design for years, and it was becoming harder for
the techs to get them to meet the specs. I was asked to work on them for
while and found a number of problems with the design, and parts that
were selected to replace obsolete parts. I learned a lot of tricks to
clean up a PLL circuit fixing a mountain of rejected modules. It was
harder work convincing both design and manufacturing engineering to
correct the problems, than it was to find the problems.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida