Old December 28th 03, 11:45 PM
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
Although I have been interested an amateur radio for about 30 years, I've
never focused much attention on radios made with ICs.

Lately I have got an interest in FM receivers, and have discovered some
FM-related IC's/chipsets. ICs such as LA1177, LA1266, LM7000, (these

three
being a chipset), and LA1235 etc etc.

But, doing a web search , you cannot find any homebrew AM/FM RX using

these
IC's.

Why is this? I would have though they would be ideal for the hobbyist to
mess around with.

Okay, from what folks have said, I gather that as time has moved on, ICs
relevant to construction of AM/FM radios have tended, more and more, not to
appeal to homebrewers because their specs are seen as not being that good,
and they have lost much of their flexibility/applicability - due to current
design/production/marketing trends.