Old December 31st 03, 10:12 PM
J999w

Default 12 v timer project ... need ideas!

I'm looking for ideas for a stand alone timer to turn on and off a remote
shortwave or BCB receiver and tape recorder. No AC mains available. Switching
requirements no more than about 5 amps.

Haven't had much luck scouring the web.

Ideas?

John WB9UAI

Old January 1st 04, 03:15 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Check the hardware store for electronic watering timers. There are some
that work from AA batteries. Hack it open, replace the motor with a
relay. You will probably need a latching relay arrangement or be
otherwise creative as the timer runs the motor for a few seconds open
and closed.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT

"Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny." -F.Z.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:14 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

J999w wrote:
I'm looking for ideas for a stand alone timer to turn on and off a remote
shortwave or BCB receiver and tape recorder. No AC mains available. Switching
requirements no more than about 5 amps.

Some Radio Shack digital AC timers actually run from batteries - run
even without AC present. (hit the "manual ON" switch & listen for the
relay to click with the unit not plugged in to AC)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 2nd 04, 01:25 PM
J999w

Some Radio Shack digital AC timers actually run from batteries - run
even without AC present. (hit the "manual ON" switch & listen for the
relay to click with the unit not plugged in to AC)
--
Doug Smith W9WI

I wonder if the sales clerk would know this? (doubtful).

Will check it out, thanks!

jw
wb9uai

Old January 4th 04, 01:07 AM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
J999w wrote:
Some Radio Shack digital AC timers actually run from batteries - run
even without AC present. (hit the "manual ON" switch & listen for the
relay to click with the unit not plugged in to AC)
--
Doug Smith W9WI

I wonder if the sales clerk would know this? (doubtful).

Will check it out, thanks!

The 61-1060 wall wart type (and its more expensive 7 day big brother)
won't click, because the relay board is powered by the AC plug, but
the timer is on a seperate board with only two wires between it and
the relay board. Easily hackable, IMHO. (Replacing the click dome
pushbuttons with tact switches is recommended, too).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 7th 04, 12:07 AM
Harvey Babb

I've got one of these that runs the motor one way for "on" and the other
way for "off". Add a microswitch that follows the valve position and
you've got it! The timer in question runs off 2 "C" cells and is
programmable for "time on" and "duration". Made by Melnor (sp?), large
distributor of lawn/garden accessories. Probably available from others.

Much Luck!