Old December 31st 03, 08:49 AM
Bill Meara

Default 40 meter DSB project

I thought you guys would like to hear about my current project:

40 meter double sideband transmitter. Solid State. To be used with my
Drake 2-B receiver. I wanted something that would allow me to contact
UK hams. My antenna will be low to the ground and NVIS should work fine.

I have kind of unusual VFO: Crystal controlled 10.1 Mhz oscillator mixing
with a 3.0-3.1 Mhz VFO. 40673 mixer. Produces 7-7.1 Mhz signal (European
40 meter ham band). I have two LC filters after the mixer to knock down
the 10.1 and 3 Mhz signals. I plan on letting the 3 Mhz VFO run all the time
(in both transmit and receive modes) -- I'll switch the 10.1 Mhz crystal
oscillator off when in receive mode.

Balanced Modulator is an NE602 using the circuit from the K2. This produces
a very nice deep null in the carrier.

I'm using a D-104 with the transistor amp in the base, so there was no need
for an audio amp in the rig -- D-104 goes directly into the NE-602.

RF amp is from a Doug DeMaw article in the Feb 1997 issue of CQ. Looks like
I'll be getting at least a few watts out.

I did the initial tests this morning -- all systems go. I should have it on
the air this weekend. It will have a real wooden breadboard for the base, and
an aluminium "kick panel" (for a door) for the cabinet.

I'll keep you all posted on progress.
73 from London. Happy New Year!
Bill M0HBR CU2JL N2CQR

SWR meter kaput? Thomas Antenna 5 August 13th 04 06:44 PM
Conjugate matching and my funky VSWR meter Lord Snooty Antenna 27 May 27th 04 08:44 PM
10 meter ant impedance at 15 meter PDRUNEN Antenna 5 March 31st 04 05:39 PM
40 meter DSB project Bill Meara Homebrew 0 December 31st 03 08:49 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM