Old January 8th 04, 12:14 AM
Steve Nosko

You're climbing a steep hill here James. It is the % change in frequency
that is the problem. Professional spec analysers use a 2 GHz LO with a 2:1
range (to scan 0-2GHz), but I believe that is a magnetically tuned YIG
resonator. If you could get the frequency higher, so the sweep range is
narrower, then mix to the desired freq with a balanced mixer...that would be
an easier VCO design.

Steve
K;9;d;c;i

The punctuation is my feeble attempt at spam-bot blocking.

"James Fenech" wrote in message
Hi Roy,

thanks for the suggestion. I am considering buying this book. Can I ask

how
much theory, and how deep does it go? I am an engineer (digital

electornics
and software background) and actually like some theory to help me

understand
what I am doing.

I already have some "real" test equipment, 50MHz CRO, signal generator,
multimeter, etc. So "simple" test equipment may not be too much of an
improvement.

I've looked over the internet, and some books that I have, but found no

real
example circuit on wideband VCOs. The only "sort of close enough" circuit

found is at:

http://www.newwaveinstruments.com/resources/rf_microwave_resources/sections/oscillator_vco_theory_design_circuit.htm#Voltage%2 0Controled%20Oscillator%20(VCO)%20Circuits
The second one down - Colpitts. Are there any such examples in this book?

Thanks,
James.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
I highly recommend _Experimental Methods in RF Design_, by Hayward,
Cambell, and Larkin. It's published by the ARRL and available from them
and numerous other sources. Besides theory and a lot of real, practical,
tested circuits and projects, it includes simple test equipment you can
build yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

James Fenech wrote:
. . .
I have the ARRL handbook (1997 or so) but this doesn't have much in

the
way
of theory. Is there any other reference anyone can recommend?
. . .

Old January 8th 04, 12:36 AM
W3JDR

2:1 tuning range with varactor tuning is very doable in the frequency range
he's considering. I've done 3:1 at lower frequencies. No steep hill at all.

Joe
W3JDR

"Steve Nosko" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

Old January 8th 04, 01:24 AM
James Fenech

Thanks Joe,

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult. Minicircuits sells parts
that have a 2:1 range (not the right range though), and I only want 1.7:1 or
so. Interesting idea about downmixing, but I really don't want another mixer
and oscillator in this thing.

Acording to my pspice results I can get the range, but I'm a little
concerned about the high voltage swing on the varactors causing very poor
phase noise.

James.

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

Old January 8th 04, 02:29 AM
W3JDR

James
In general, very wide tuning range and very good phase noise are sort of
antithetical. If you use the circuit I sent you, the phase noise will be
quite good for your simple spectrum analyzer application (unless you're
planning to have a very high resolution/very low bandwidth mode).

Don't get too hung up on your Spice modeling. It can keep you from trying
some things that are known to work. In general, if I can build it faster
than I can model it, I'll just go right for building it. I use modeling to
get another perspective, but not to get the whole picture.

Joe

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

Old January 8th 04, 02:40 AM
Jim Pennell

Seems to me I read a note about W7ZOI starting to build a variation of his
original spectrum analyzer which will cover up to 200 MHz.

http://users.easystreet.com/w7zoi/vhfbpf.html

He expects to use a mini-circuit VCO.

POS-535 VCO from MiniCircuits will sweep from 260 to 460 MHz

Given a first IF of 260 MHz, it all works nicely.

Personally, I'd be inclined to do something like this, using the
minicircuits part, since they tend to be fairly linear tuning MHz/VOLT which
simplifies the sweep circuitry a lot.

I have built broadband tuning range VCOs before, and I know it can be
done, but in a spectrum analyzer, the performance is usually limited by the
first VCO so using a good performance VCO makes sense to me.

Jim
N6BIU

Old January 8th 04, 03:38 AM
Roy Lewallen

_Experimental Methods_ is oriented toward the advanced amateur, so you
won't find the depth and level of math you would in a college text or a
specialized text on one of the many topics covered in that book.
However, there's a lot more depth than you'll find in something like the
_ARRL Handbook_. Another thing is that the authors are all experienced
and professional engineers who've spent years doing RF design, and all
know a very great deal about the covered topics. In my opinion, only
someone with a very deep and basic understanding of the fundamentals can
accurately explain theory in an intuitive and easy to understand way.
The authors have that understanding. I have no doubt you'll be very
pleased with the book.

Re test equipment: how about devices for measuring RF power, impedance,
frequency, inductance, capacitance, Q, spectra, noise figure, and
crystal characteristics?

I don't believe there's an example of a wideband VCO. The authors
concentrate a lot on keeping phase noise low, so use other methods to
achieve wideband operation than with a wideband VCO.

If you're looking for a more theoretical treatment of oscillators and
other RF circuits, I recommend Hayward's _Introduction to Radio
Frequency Design_, now also published by the ARRL. (You might find a
used first edition, published by Wiley as I recall.) After reading the
chapter on oscillators, you'll know enough to get a good start at least
at designing your own VCO.

There are a lot of practical tips and observations about oscillators in
_Oscillator Design and Computer Simulation_ by Randall Rhea (Noble
publishing, ISBN1-884932-30-4), although in my opinion it doesn't convey
as fundamental understanding of oscillator operation as Hayward's books.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

James Fenech wrote:
Hi Roy,

thanks for the suggestion. I am considering buying this book. Can I ask how
much theory, and how deep does it go? I am an engineer (digital electornics
and software background) and actually like some theory to help me understand
what I am doing.

I already have some "real" test equipment, 50MHz CRO, signal generator,
multimeter, etc. So "simple" test equipment may not be too much of an
improvement.

I've looked over the internet, and some books that I have, but found no real
example circuit on wideband VCOs. The only "sort of close enough" circuit I
found is at:
http://www.newwaveinstruments.com/resources/rf_microwave_resources/sections/oscillator_vco_theory_design_circuit.htm#Voltage%2 0Controled%20Oscillator%20(VCO)%20Circuits
The second one down - Colpitts. Are there any such examples in this book?

Thanks,
James.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

I highly recommend _Experimental Methods in RF Design_, by Hayward,
Cambell, and Larkin. It's published by the ARRL and available from them
and numerous other sources. Besides theory and a lot of real, practical,
tested circuits and projects, it includes simple test equipment you can
build yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

. . .