Old January 6th 04, 09:24 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default superhet alignment ?

I think it was after last summer that I saw a published magazine article
where someone had come with a new way, at least for me, to align a radio so
that the dial would be calibrated throughout its range. IIRC he set the
trimmer, padder and other adjustments just once or maybe twice. In the past
I have set and reset all adjustments several times, each time cutting the
error in half until I'm satisfied or worn out.. If anyone recalls the
article I sure would appreciate knowing. It seems like it may have been
Monitoring Times or Popular Communications, neither of which I subscribe to,
but it could have been elsewhere, because my memeory isn't as good as it was
because I was taking Lipitor, and have now quit.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old January 6th 04, 10:45 PM
Leon Heller

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I think it was after last summer that I saw a published magazine article
where someone had come with a new way, at least for me, to align a radio so
that the dial would be calibrated throughout its range. IIRC he set the
trimmer, padder and other adjustments just once or maybe twice. In the past
I have set and reset all adjustments several times, each time cutting the
error in half until I'm satisfied or worn out.. If anyone recalls the
article I sure would appreciate knowing. It seems like it may have been
Monitoring Times or Popular Communications, neither of which I subscribe to,
but it could have been elsewhere, because my memeory isn't as good as it was
because I was taking Lipitor, and have now quit.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

I think it was Electronics Weekly.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:

Old January 7th 04, 01:13 AM
Reg Edwards

For alignment of superhet RF/Local Osc receivers you may find program
OSCTRACK useful. Download and run in a few seconds from website below.

Exact L and C, trimmer and padder values are computed for a given waveband.
--
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ

Old January 7th 04, 05:30 AM
Capoot

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
[...]

Hank,
I came across this article on superhet alignment today:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30298/article.html
Ray

Old January 7th 04, 03:51 PM
Doug

"Capoot" wrote in message ...
[...]

Once you get it as close as you can, you can bend the plates of the
air variable. This will align it in little band segments. Remember,
the slug will align the low end of the band, then you can use the
trimmer to touch up the high end, without much effect on the low end.
Also, on older equipment, Ive found that sometimes you cant get enough
induction out of the slug/coil. I think the slugs lose density over
time, so you may end up rewinding the coil with a few more turns of
wire.