Old January 9th 04, 04:52 AM
Joer

Default Superheterodyne mixer question

I'm trying to settle a debate with a friend, and my knowledge of
mixers is pretty rusty.

Say you have a receiver whose IF is 455 kHz, and it's tuned to a
station at 1500 kHz. If all's working OK, at the output of the mixer
you should have four frequencies:

1500 (original signal)
1955 (oscillator signal - osc. working above the signal freq.)
3455 (sum)
455 (difference)

My question is by what process does the mixer produce the 3455 and 455
frequencies. I say it's an add and subtract process, my friend says
(via mathematics) it's a multiplication process. Who's right?

thanks,

Joe W9TXU