Old January 12th 04, 10:49 PM
Steve Nosko

This may need re-stating. The reverse polarity protection goes IN THE
RADIO, not the power supply. Right fellas?
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

??? Fort Hose... ??? Cute also:

When the clock gets near 12:00 I stick my head in teh co-workers office &
say
Djeet Jet? If the response is no, then;"Tsqueet!"

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

I'm not understanding something here. You want to design a power supply

that
protects against reverse voltage and overvoltage. OK. Is this power

supply a
battery or are you actually building a power supply that runs from the

wall
outlet?

The requirements are quite different, depending on what you are trying to
achieve.

Jim

Richard Hosking

-Dear all
-I want to design a power supply for a low power rig with protection for
-reverse and overvoltage.

Jim Weir, VP Eng. RST Eng. WX6RST
A&P, CFI, and other good alphabet soup

Old January 15th 04, 07:28 PM
Eamon Skelton

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:44:19 +0800, Richard Hosking wrote:

Dear all
I want to design a power supply for a low power rig with protection for
reverse and overvoltage. The requirement would be about 1A at 12-14V.
What is the best way of achieving this? I guess a diode would give
reverse voltage protection but the 0.6V drop is a problem.

Richard

Hi Richard.

If you do decide to use a switching supply, the diode
or diodes in the output of the switching circuit may
me be all the reverse voltage protection you need.
Make sure that the output smoothing capacitor can
handle any voltage it is likely to encounter.

A crowbar and fuse will protect against overvoltage.
A hefty Thyristor (SCR or whatever they call them now)
or triac makes a good crowbar.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply by E-mail.