Old January 17th 04, 12:49 PM
gil

Default Ten Tec 1340 problem

Just got a TT 1340 40M qrp rig and cant seem to get it to tune, swr is way
up and there seems to be lots of oscillation going on in the rig. Power out
is about 5 watts and the reflected power is just as high.
Both long wire antennas tune fine with all my other rigs, except the 1340.
Any comments?
Thanks......Gil
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old January 18th 04, 12:27 AM
Tim Wescott

I don't know the TT 1340, so I don't know if it has an SWR meter built-in:

If it has an internal SWR meter then check the connections between that
meter and the RF jack on the rig.

SWR is a quality of the stuff that comes _after_ the SWR meter, and the
frequency of the energy going into the SWR meter. So if you're putting 7MHz
into the meter you should get the same results no matter where it comes
from. Ergo, the "lots of oscillation" that you're seeing in the rig
includes frequencies at which your antenna isn't tuned so well.

Try running into a dummy load, and see if things calm down. If you have a
frequency counter or an oscilloscope measure the output frequency. Once you
get it figured out with that, go back to running into an antenna.

ink.net...

Old January 18th 04, 02:15 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

gil wrote:
Just got a TT 1340 40M qrp rig and cant seem to get it to tune, swr is way
up and there seems to be lots of oscillation going on in the rig. Power out
is about 5 watts and the reflected power is just as high.
Both long wire antennas tune fine with all my other rigs, except the 1340.

Problems with the rig shouldn't cause high SWR, unless...

the rig is radiating signals on frequencies other than 40 meters. Which
is consistent with your "...lots of oscillation going on..." comment.

I built a 1320 a few years back. (works like a champ!) Best guess is
that there's a problem with one of the coils in the low-pass filter
coming out of the transmitter power amp. (if I can find the manual for
my 1320 I'll post in more detail tomorrow!) I'd double-check that the
coils you wound there (*NOT* the single coil that sets the VFO range)
were wound properly.

Otherwise I'd say there's some other place where you installed the wrong
part. Double-check resistor and capacitor values against the schematic
and instructions.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66