Old January 18th 04, 02:00 AM
Leland C. Scott

Default Automotive GPS Radio Interfacing for APRS use?

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with
the optional RB1 in-dash GPS nav radio
combination. This particular option has been
available for over a year or more for older
Chrysler model Jeeps and selected cars.

I looked up the specifications for the GPS-radio
unit, http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#SPEC , and
found that the GPS section uses a communication
specification called "J1850 bus specification for
NAV information" for the data format. Has anybody
tried to interface to a unit like the RB1 for use
as a mobile GPRS station?

I have found some information on the J1850 bus
specification and some hardware at
http://www.intrepidcs.com/vspy/ . Has anybody used
this for GPRS application? There is some free
software available if you use a Palm based PC at
http://www.intrepidcs.com/vspy/vspyce.htm for
using the network interface hardware.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL Member
NCI Member

Charter member of the
Lawrence Technological University
Wireless Society W8LTU

Old January 19th 04, 11:03 PM
Steve Nosko

I have no idea if this is a possibility, but OEM type GPS units typically
have two modes. One is their internal data format and the other is the NMEA
standard. I know that the Motorola Oncore units do & I have seen reference
to other "OEM" standard formats. On the Motorola units, it takes a command
into the serial port to switch between them.

You kept saying GPRS. I think you meant APRS, no?
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old January 24th 04, 10:59 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Steve Nosko"
wrote in
message ...

You kept saying GPRS. I think you meant APRS,

no?

Right. And thanks for the pointer.