Old January 20th 04, 12:10 AM
Paul Burridge

Default Eagle PCB layout question

Hi all,

I'm just playing around with Eagle Lite this evening and cant seem to
get the thing to connect up components in certain circumstances. I get
a "this bit isn't a member of that bit" type of error message and the
program just refuses me to make the connection. Any ideas?

Secondly, I see that Autorouter is disabled in the Lite version. Does
that mean that the main benefit of using layout software is denied
me?! I mean, I can spend a few hours making up my own component
footprints in any old drawing program and position them as I wish.
What use is Eagle Lite in that case? Or is there something I haven't
grasped yet?

Thanks,

p.
--

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.
Old January 20th 04, 12:51 AM
Dave Platt

Hi all,

I'm just playing around with Eagle Lite this evening and cant seem to
get the thing to connect up components in certain circumstances. I get
a "this bit isn't a member of that bit" type of error message and the
program just refuses me to make the connection. Any ideas?

I believe I saw an error of that sort, if I tried to create a
connection between an individual link, and a multi-signal bus. You
can only do this if the thing you're trying to hook up, has a name
which matches the name of an element of the bus.

Secondly, I see that Autorouter is disabled in the Lite version. Does
that mean that the main benefit of using layout software is denied
me?! I mean, I can spend a few hours making up my own component
footprints in any old drawing program and position them as I wish.
What use is Eagle Lite in that case? Or is there something I haven't
grasped yet?

Hmmm. On the version of Eagle Lite Freeware (Linux) that I have on my
laptop, the autorouter works just fine.

I started with a small battery float-charger schematic I had sitting
around, did a "switch to board", let the program throw the components
down off-board in random locations, dragged the components to the
board and then rotated them to minimize the amount of
signal-connection crossing. I then used "Tools/Auto", approved all of
the defaults, and it routed the whole board in about ten seconds.

You _did_ create both a schematic, and a board layout, as part of the
same design? All of the components fit within the outlines of the
largest board that the Lite version will create?

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 20th 04, 10:58 AM
Paul Burridge

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:51:33 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

I believe I saw an error of that sort, if I tried to create a
connection between an individual link, and a multi-signal bus. You
can only do this if the thing you're trying to hook up, has a name
which matches the name of an element of the bus.

I can't see the point of this disadvantage.

Hmmm. On the version of Eagle Lite Freeware (Linux) that I have on my
laptop, the autorouter works just fine.

It's disabled on this PC/Windoze version for some reason!

I started with a small battery float-charger schematic I had sitting
around, did a "switch to board", let the program throw the components
down off-board in random locations, dragged the components to the
board and then rotated them to minimize the amount of
signal-connection crossing. I then used "Tools/Auto", approved all of
the defaults, and it routed the whole board in about ten seconds.

The "helpfile" says you can move the components to the board, position
them, click on 'ratsnest' to get "airwires" to appear between the
relevant nodes, then do the tools/auto bit and get the defaults you
specify, then click "go" and the routing is automatically done.
Unfortunately, however, no airwires appear, nor do any tracks. Nothing
happens and the "helpfile" says autorouter isn't a working function in
the Lite version! So far I can't say I'm exactly impressed...

You _did_ create both a schematic, and a board layout, as part of the
same design? All of the components fit within the outlines of the
largest board that the Lite version will create?

Yes.

--

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.
Old January 20th 04, 10:28 AM
Leon Heller

Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just playing around with Eagle Lite this evening and cant seem to
get the thing to connect up components in certain circumstances. I get
a "this bit isn't a member of that bit" type of error message and the
program just refuses me to make the connection. Any ideas?

Secondly, I see that Autorouter is disabled in the Lite version. Does
that mean that the main benefit of using layout software is denied
me?! I mean, I can spend a few hours making up my own component
footprints in any old drawing program and position them as I wish.
What use is Eagle Lite in that case? Or is there something I haven't
grasped yet?

The autorouter should work. If you are thinking of using the autorouter
for your FSM don't bother, autorouters aren't much good for RF boards.
You will get much better results routing it manually.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:

Old January 20th 04, 01:23 PM
John Walton

There are a couple Eagle newsgroups -- you can link to them through
Cadsoft's site (although the news is in English) and set it up just like
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew in your outlook browser,

eagle.support.eng and
eagle.userchat.eng

Old January 20th 04, 02:04 PM
Paul Burridge

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:23:11 -0500, "John Walton"
wrote:

There are a couple Eagle newsgroups -- you can link to them through
Cadsoft's site (although the news is in English) and set it up just like
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew in your outlook browser,

eagle.support.eng and
eagle.userchat.eng

Thanks. I'll take a look.

A note to Leon: I'd have d/loaded your suggested program by now but
the main computer's overdue for an update of all sorts of things
(currently underway). Since it's such a huge d/load, I'm going to do
it overnight tonight and just hope it's succeeded by the morning!
--

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.
Old January 26th 04, 12:29 AM
Richard Hosking

I am using the old Autotrax program which still works well - see the Airborn
Electronics website for details. It has updated video and printer drivers
and is free.

Richard