Old January 22nd 04, 06:13 PM
FAZAMY

Default How do I eliminate noise from a pc monitor?

I have a noise source. It is from a pc monitor sharing the same desk as my
rig, and it is connected to the pc that is linked to my rig via of ribbon cable
to a comm port. The noise doesn't cover an entire band. It just is on one
frequency and harmonics of that frequency.

What are the remedies.

73,
KB2AMY

Old January 22nd 04, 06:25 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Try this URL:
http://ac6v.com/comprfi.htm

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard
-----------------------

Old January 23rd 04, 02:46 PM
FAZAMY

How do I eliminate noise from a pc monitor?

I solved my problem by changing the monitor color display from 256 to 16. This
cut the noise right out.

After looking for a real easy and uncomplicated solution, with pc and tcvr on,
I rebooted the pc in dos mode and when the b&w screen appeared there was no
noise from monitor.

Then I went to control panel, found the display info and changed the color to
16.
For some reason, too many colors create noise. (Why?)

Thanks to all for your help.

73,
Evan
KB2AMY
Old January 23rd 04, 02:55 PM
Michael A. Terrell

FAZAMY wrote:

How do I eliminate noise from a pc monitor?

I solved my problem by changing the monitor color display from 256 to 16. This
cut the noise right out.

After looking for a real easy and uncomplicated solution, with pc and tcvr on,
I rebooted the pc in dos mode and when the b&w screen appeared there was no
noise from monitor.

Then I went to control panel, found the display info and changed the color to
16.
For some reason, too many colors create noise. (Why?)

Thanks to all for your help.

73,
Evan
KB2AMY

Less colors use a simpler drive signal to the CRT. Also, selecting a
different video resolution will move the sweep frequency.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old January 22nd 04, 11:53 PM
K9SQG

Remidies depend on determining first if the noise is being conducted and/or
radiated...

Old January 23rd 04, 05:09 AM
Brian Oakley

"FAZAMY" wrote in message
I have a noise source. It is from a pc monitor sharing the same desk as

my
rig, and it is connected to the pc that is linked to my rig via of ribbon

cable
to a comm port. The noise doesn't cover an entire band. It just is on

one
frequency and harmonics of that frequency.

What are the remedies.

73,
KB2AMY

Most CRT monitors radiate enough noise to raise the noise floor to an
unacceptable level. One of the best remedies is to use good quality coax and
to keep the antenna as far away from the monitor as possible.

Old January 23rd 04, 04:32 PM
FAZAMY

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Haste makes waste. Sometimes
"simple" solutions don't work.

Info on an earlier post today proclaims my solution. Not so :-( Changing
color display to 16 merely cut the noise on one frequency, and the noise
appears on a couple of different frequencies.

Therefore, before I post solutions - like a good scientist - I will carefully
observe and test and re-test.

73,
KB2AMY

Old January 23rd 04, 05:09 PM
Eddie Haskel

Sounds like the *BEST* damned reason to purchase a new flat screen LCD
monitor I have ever heard! Going to try that one on the better-half this
weekend.....Eddie