Old January 29th 04, 03:53 PM
FAZAMY

Default EMI-RFI Banned for sale?

I've been trying to track down a source conductive spray paint. A rep from a
electronics co. said that such stuff has been banned for sale by the EPA. He
sounded convincing to me.

Is this kind of a product legally available in the US. I'd like to know?

73, de KB2AMY
Old January 29th 04, 06:35 PM
John Popelish

FAZAMY wrote:

I've been trying to track down a source conductive spray paint. A rep from a
electronics co. said that such stuff has been banned for sale by the EPA. He
sounded convincing to me.

Is this kind of a product legally available in the US. I'd like to know?

73, de KB2AMY

Have you searched Google yet?

--
John Popelish
Old January 29th 04, 06:37 PM
Tim Wescott

It sounds like there was one type that people were using, and it must have
had something nasty in it. I firmly believe that a conductive spray paint
could be made that is durable and environmentally safe, however.

Someone will come out with something to replace it, or already has so keep
digging. Perhaps you should consider some clever kluge like contact cement
and foil for your immediate needs?

Old January 29th 04, 06:56 PM
Mike Andrews

FAZAMY wrote:
I've been trying to track down a source conductive spray paint. A rep from a
electronics co. said that such stuff has been banned for sale by the EPA. He
sounded convincing to me.

Is this kind of a product legally available in the US. I'd like to know?

I'd be mildly surprised if conductive paint has been banned, as IBM
uses _a_ _lot_ of it in their mainframes, to make the enclosures as
close to Faraday cages as they can get them consistent with having
holes cut in the sides and bottoms for cable access.

But if you mean "conductive paint in spray cans", that may be a
totally different thing. I'd call some paint manufacturers -- Krylon
and Rustoleum for starters. Probably they have "800" numbers that are
on the cans in the hardware stores, and "800" number information calls
generally are free.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin
Old January 29th 04, 06:59 PM
Eddie Haskel

YES! I recently purchased some of it to coat the inside of a plastic cased
radio scanner to shield the inside chassis. Bought it from "Electronic City"
located in Burbank Ca. Their telephone number is (818) 842-5275.
I'm not at home right now or I could get the can and give you the data from
it. Hopefully the folks at Electronic City can help you on this...Eddie

Old January 29th 04, 10:03 PM
Reg Edwards

Have you searched Google yet?

=========================

Why worship Google?

Google offers the the same quality of information as is available on this
newsgroup. There is no way of detecting the difference between good and
bad.

Old January 29th 04, 11:00 PM
Dave Platt

I've been trying to track down a source conductive spray paint. A rep from a
electronics co. said that such stuff has been banned for sale by the EPA. He
sounded convincing to me.

Is this kind of a product legally available in the US. I'd like to know?

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/

Click on "Products", then on "Conductive Coating". Their MS-487N is a
nickel-based conductive paint, intended for RFI/EMI shielding.
Will attack acrylic, polycarbonate, polystyrene plastics. It's
available as a liquid but not as an aerosol. You might be able to use
it in a commercial airless paint sprayer.

Less formal solutions to the problem, which I have seen suggested but
have not actually tested myself, include:

- Carbon-based black spraypaint intended for high-temperature
applications such as woodstoves, stovepipes, etc.

- Zinc-based "cold galvanizing" spraypaint.

I have no idea what sort of attenuation you'd get from either of
these, or what sort of surface preparation, priming, or overcoating
might be required on various materials.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 29th 04, 11:41 PM
donutbandit

"Reg Edwards" wrote in
:

Why worship Google?

Google offers the the same quality of information as is available on this
newsgroup. There is no way of detecting the difference between good and
bad.

A person should always do a Google search before asking a question in a
newsgroup. It's likely been discussed dozens of times before. This could
make the question not needing to be asked in the first place - or, the
asker could then ask with some background of knowledge.

You will very likely find more than you ever wanted to know about the
subject by searching Google.
Old January 30th 04, 12:04 AM
Cambio

I'll add to that -- a lot of folks don't know that Google can search not
only the Web -- but Newsgroups and Images as well.
See search for -- web, -- groups, -- images, -- directory

A good example is oil for a Heath Cantenna (or equivalent)

This question appears every month or so.

But using google GROUPS -- type in Dummy Load Oil -- get hundreds of
useful (and so not useful) advice.

Want to see an ARC-5 Command set -- use images.

Great resource -- googles the mind
..
73 Cambio
------------------------
"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Reg Edwards" wrote in
:

Why worship Google?

Old January 30th 04, 07:47 AM
donutbandit

"Cambio" wrote in news:EjgSb.2014$IF1.1384@fed1read01:

http://groups.google.com/

A search window for every newsgroup that Google hosts.