Old February 6th 04, 06:25 PM
ellisc

Default messing with a car radio

I have an 80s model delco am/fm radio. I'd like to attach an external
long wire AM antenna, an external FM antenna, and rig something up so
I can listen to it with headphones at bedside.

Questions:

1. What do I need to do/build the headphone connection? Can I put
something together using the car radio speaker wires?

2. Is it possible to hook up the long wire antenna without getting too
complicated? Can I use the antenna plug on the radio in some way, or
will I have to get inside the box? I don't know a lot about
electronics. I have a soldering iron and have fixed the occasional
loose wire on things around the house, but not much more than that.

Or should I just forget it and buy a portable receiver? I mainly want
to listen to AM talk at night and a particular FM college station in
the next town. I read on several posts about using a car radio
because of the AM reception.

I've also thought about buying a used Grundig receiver, in particular
the S350. I think having the option of listening to shortwave might
be fun. Does this thing put out good audio via headphones?

Thanks.