Old February 9th 04, 11:44 PM
Bob Liesenfeld

Default Recomendations for a VNA

Hi gang,
I know there are several professional engineering types on the list,
so I thought I'd post this here. I teach at a technical college and it
is budget time. My boss asked me for a "wish list" and a vector network
analyzer came to mind. What I had in mind would be something we could
use to characterize small signal BJT and JFET circuits at say 3-30MHz.
VHF and UHF would be nice, but not required. I'd be looking for
something that could provide real and imaginary values, so as to be able
to develop s parameters for various circuits.
In order to qualify for consideration, the unit would have to be new,
and non-kit. I know HP and others make things like this. Any
recommendations?
BTW, I know something like this is going to run in the kilo or tens of
kilo buck range. Hey, it's their money and they asked.

Thanks for the input.

Bob WB0POQ

Old February 10th 04, 01:16 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Bob Liesenfeld" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at Paul's VNBA at:
http://users.adelphia.net/~n2pk/

Accuracy is wonderful, software is elegant.
These are being kitted in the $200 range. Don't let the price mislead you-
this is a lab quality instrument.
No affiliation, just admiration.
Dale W4OP

Old February 10th 04, 06:23 PM
Tom Bruhns

It might be possible to find a donation, too, and of course that
wouldn't have to be new (but might be). My specific recommendations
would be biased so I'm going to avoid giving them. However, I think
you should make a wish-list of features, first, and perhaps your
students could help you come up with those. It would even be a chance
to engage them in a little research. I'd say you should have an
instrument that's easy to learn and use, and that introduces the
students to a good range of the capabilities of a good VNA. It would
be good if it introduces them to the importance of calibration, and
just _what_ should be calibrated on a VNA. It would be good if it can
make s-parameter measurements. The concept of having the ability to
make calibrated measurements at the end of a (possibly fairly long)
transmission line is very useful. In actual use, I'd look for ways to
illustrate that they (all of them) have limitations: there are
tradeoffs in the design of a VNA, made with an eye to the intended
application(s).

I know that HP published some nice application notes about VNA
applications and calibration and accuracy limits. Likely Rohde &
Schwarz and Anritsu and others have similar ap notes. If you have
trouble finding HP ones, I may be able to help, but they're likely on
the Agilent web (somewhere). Also look for articles in the HP
Journal...again, I can help if you can't find anything.

Cheers,
Tom

Old February 11th 04, 02:17 PM
Pete KE9OA

I just got through building up the VNA that Dale mentioned. Kit price is 250
dollars, plus 5 dollars shipping in the USA.
Right now, I am etching the power supply board, and I hope to have the unit
up and running later this afternoon.

Pete

m...

Old February 11th 04, 02:59 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:17:15 GMT, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote:

I just got through building up the VNA that Dale mentioned. Kit price is 250
dollars, plus 5 dollars shipping in the USA.
Right now, I am etching the power supply board, and I hope to have the unit
up and running later this afternoon.

Please let us know how you get on....
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Old February 12th 04, 01:51 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Paul,
I just finished it this evening......................it is a
good piece of equipment, and worth the money. Tomorrow, I will do more
in-depth testing. It appears to have resolution to 6 digits, which is good.
It consists of a pair of 9851 DDS chips, with a 1496 being used as a direct
conversion detector. I think I am going to build another one, so I can use
one at home and one at work.

Pete