Old February 15th 04, 10:18 AM
Bozidar Pasaric

Default An excellent site!

I hope that this post is not off-topic because it refers to the history
of electricity which is the basis of our hobby. The other day I came
across an interesting site written and maintained by Dr. Eugenii Katz
from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel. It contains biografies,
work and results of all the scientists who have contributed to the
development of the science of electricity, ane were born in the last 300
years. The list has 234 names - from William Gilbert to Walter
Schockley. If you click on the name you get his biography with his
portrait (if avalilable), pictures from his life and his inventions.

The whole list is diveded into five parts:

- scientists born before 1751.
- scientists born 1751-1800,
- scientists born 1801-1850,
- scientist born 1851-1900,
- scientists born after 1901.

It is enough to go to the Google and type in one of the above subtitles,
and then click on the same subtitle you get. I have printed down the
whole site - more than 800 pages of interesting reading! A whole
encyclopedia for free! It is very useful for students of
electrotechnics, but also very enlightening for us hams. I was shocked
to read that George Ohm was mocked by respectful scientists for his Law,
that Nikola Tesla was pennyless in his old age and that Edwin Armstrong
- the inventor of superheterodyne and of frequency modulation - commited
a suicide exhaused by endless court procedures and failures trying to
introduce his FM.

Dr. Katz's URL is
http//www.geocities.com/bioelectrochemistry/index.htm.
Excellent work in his free time. Thanks dr. Katz!
Bozidar, 9A2HL