Old February 29th 04, 10:57 PM
James W

Default Homebrewed remote antenna switch.

I'm just starting to think about building a remote antenna switch.

Since I've never played with one of these before.. I'm a bit concerned
about what to look for in relays. I'd guess I want SPDT, so that the
antennas that are not selected can be grounded. Other than that, I have
no idea on what specification I should look for.

I want 12V coils. I need contacts capable of handing ~150W, and just to
avoid cooking relays, I guess I need to be concerned about SWR. The
antenna switch will be between the exciters and the antenna tuners, to
SWR 'should' be low (2)

Any suggestions on relays?

I, and now to embarrass myself... I'm a bit concerned about the feedline
connections.. Most of the antenna switches I've seen, simply connect all
the feedline braids to the bulkhead, and run the center connectors to
the relays. So.. what does this do to the characteristic impedance of
the feedlines? I guess this is the same thing that takes place inside
the exiciter, but I just wonder if I need some type of transformers or
something..

thanks es 73s

- jim