RadioBanter

-   -   Hand soldering QFN package? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22526-hand-soldering-qfn-package.html)

Tom Kreyche March 7th 04 01:57 AM

Hand soldering QFN package?

Has anyone tried hand soldering leads on a QFN package? perhaps dead-bug
style using wrap wire? Or?

I have 20 or 32 pin QFN chips I'd like to play with but the tiny size is
rather intimidating. I have successfully soldered SSOPs.

thanks, Tom

maxfoo March 7th 04 02:22 PM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:57:19 GMT, "Tom Kreyche" wrote:

Has anyone tried hand soldering leads on a QFN package? perhaps dead-bug
style using wrap wire? Or?

I have 20 or 32 pin QFN chips I'd like to play with but the tiny size is
rather intimidating. I have successfully soldered SSOPs.

thanks, Tom

Best way that works for me is using a hot plate to heat up the pcb to 170C.
then apply a drop of flux on the bottom of the chip, melt solder on the pcb
footprint and place to chip down. capillary action will direct the chip in
place.

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.