Old March 9th 04, 05:24 AM
Avery Fineman

Default WWVB decoder circuit

In article , Dennis
writes:

Does anybody have a circuit that will
decode the WWVB signal,and output to a clock
led circuit?

You can find a similar circuit, all hardware, at Hans Summers website
in the UK (I expect he will be along shortly to remind us where). :-)

That was Hans' senior project in college, made to receive Rugby
broadcasts on 60 KHz. The time code format of WWVB (also on
60 KHz) is slightly different. Most such projects today use a
Microchip PIC or Atmel microcontroller programmed to do nearly
everything in decoding and displaying, but to LCDs rather than
LEDs.

Since the microcontrollers in the 30+ "radio clocks" on the market
usually have some DSP routines to aid in selectivity and noise
reduction, the hardware content is VERY low and the prices are
cheap enough. We have two such at the house, an Oregon
Scientific brand bought 4 years ago (small in size, good for travel),
a Large display unit from La Crosse Technology bought at Office
Depot. We (wife and I) didn't pay $30 for either one and they
were not on a special sale. They run for over a year on a single
battery and automatically update to correct time if needed. The
NIST website (under Time and Frequency division) has a list of
available "radio clocks" on the market. NIST has all the info on
the WWVB time code, area coverage, transmitter details, lots.

If you wanted an LED display instead of LCD, I'd suggest getting a
commercial unit and adapting the LCD signals out to LED driver
circuits. That way the RF input circuitry, DSP enhancement, and,
especially the decoding, is already done. That decoding isn't all
that easy to do if you've never worked with this sort of thing before
and it is definitely NOT simple like a "one-tube superhet" project.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person