Old March 13th 04, 06:37 PM
Rv!

Default TS850. Want 300mW output by use of ALC.

Hi all,
I want to drive a transverter from my TS850.
I know there's a mod that's available for the rig but it is
a bit OTT as it required extensive mods.

I an thinking of building an attenuator (20dB) to take the
rig from 30w to 320mW to drive the TVTR. However I am wondering
how the ALC control might be used to help.

Will the ALC input on the radio be able to hold the radio at
300mW directly? I don't really think it will so I will probably
use the attenuator and use the ALC to hold the radio down to 30w.

Has anyone use dthe ALC dierctly on this radio? Seems it is a -V
input, but having never had to interface to this I am not sure.
Electronically I'm fine so any advice on the expected signals to
the rigs ALC would be appreciated.

I will also build a small sequencing unit to ensure the PTT is
applied nicely to the various units.

TIA..

Robert

Old March 14th 04, 11:39 AM
Rv!

"Bill Turner"
Doesn't the '850 have a jack on the back for transverter drive? It's
been a few years so my memory might be failing me, but I recall using
that jack with a six meter transverter.

Thanks for the reply.

No, it has to be adapted to get this function. This involved adding sockets
to the rear of the radio and getting access to the RF drive to the finals.
Howver this isn't all that helpful in this case as the signal is apparently
extremely small and not enough to drive this TVTR unit.

Page 49 of the user manual show how to convert the IF output to a low level
RF drive with 250mV P-P output when drive is at max. Unfortunately this
still leaves the final PA in action which is where the manual recommends
connecting the transverter output (RX signal).

I don't know what their TVTR was expecting. I can get a low level drive
just fine but at the same time pump the full 100w into the receive port
of the TVTR. Not exactly as wanted.

Rv!