Old March 15th 04, 02:22 AM
acepilot

Default Icom IC-251A Low Power Mod?

Has anybody successfully modified the Icom IC-251A 2M all mode rig so
that it will provide only 1 mW at the antenna terminal to drive a
transverter? On the schematic, it looks like there is a plug that
supplies the 13.8 Volts to the PA and driver transistors. If I removed
this plug, effectively killing these stages, might there be enough power
leaking through to provide the 1 mW at the antenna jack? If so, how bad
do you suppose the harmonics would be at the output? Any other ideas
appreciated (I could control the power using the mic gain control down
to some lower power such as 1 Watt or so and then use a 30 dB pad. Down
side is if I ever adjust the mic gain to 10 Watts out, I'd pump 100mW
into the tranverter until the 30 dB pad finally blew)...What say???

Scott
N0EDV