Old March 23rd 04, 08:22 PM
Paul Burridge

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:22:18 GMT, art
wrote:

That's nothing. I got a better story..

Dad bought a pair of walkie talkies back in 1964 when I was 5 yr old,
I found the soldering iron (always watched him fix the tv sets for people)

and removed every part on the pc board from one of the wt !

When he got home, I thought he would whip my butt but instead
he gave me a big pat on the head and was proud of my work !

Personally, I'd have been a little miffed to say the least, but it's
great for you that you had a relationship like that with your father.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Old March 23rd 04, 10:07 PM
Lou

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:13:35 -0500, "Lou"
wrote:

I have a bench full of equipment and use it only to get me out of the

dark,
if no signal at all. Once I get past that, I use my own ears. I get far
better audio.
Instruments just don't cut it for "listening" audio. Lou

A aging G3 friend of mine would agree with you here. He seldom resorts
to anything more than a DVM and a capacitance bridge to carry out
quite difficult repairs. I, OTOH, am totally stuffed without a full
schematic, my 'scope, signal generator, frequency counter, spectrum
analyser and just about anything else you can think of. I once knew a
totally blind guy from Hastings who repaired radios without *any* test
equipment or schematics, seemingly by 'feeling his way around' the
circuit board and listening for appropriate responses. No way I could
ever do that: incredible. And I've met many others who have similar
abilities, too, over the years.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

The blind do have a good sense about them. They have to! It is really
amazing what they can do. Lou

Old March 23rd 04, 10:09 PM
Lou

Sounds almost like a "Leave it to Beaver" episode! I love it. Lou

"art" wrote in message
That's nothing. I got a better story..

Dad bought a pair of walkie talkies back in 1964 when I was 5 yr old,
I found the soldering iron (always watched him fix the tv sets for people)

and removed every part on the pc board from one of the wt !

When he got home, I thought he would whip my butt but instead
he gave me a big pat on the head and was proud of my work !

art

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:25:14 GMT, John Hall
wrote:

I remember years ago my dad's friend had been fiddling with his radio
because it didn't work right, he "found some screws loose in those
little cans, so tightened them all down". Strangely, that didn't
improve things.

:-)
It's the first thing a lot of folks seem to do when they get the back
off a radio, isn't it?

Old March 24th 04, 12:05 AM
Active8

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the blind guy who'd say to me, "Good morning, Mike,"
just from the sound of my footsteps.
--
Best Regards,
Mike