Old March 29th 04, 01:21 AM
Brian Hill

Default HBR-16

Hi guys. I want to build the HBR -16. that was in a early 60s QST. I think?
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

73 Brian
--
Never under estimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

Old March 29th 04, 03:44 AM

The HBR web site:

http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/HBR/hbr.html

I've built three HBR's. It's a nice receiver.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

Old March 29th 04, 04:06 AM
N2EY

In article , "Brian Hill"
writes:

I want to build the HBR -16. that was in a early 60s QST. I think?
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Two resources are an absolute must:

K5BCQ's excellent HBR website (your favorite search engine will find it by
searching "HBR K5BCQ"

There is an email reflector devoted to the HBR - instructions at the website,
IIRC

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old March 29th 04, 11:27 PM
Brian Hill

Thank Guys. I found Kees great website. I'm sure this will be a year long
project. I want it to look as good as it works. What kind of dial and drive
do you guys think is the best. I like that 2 speed drive on Norm Deemer's
(WA5HPJ) HBR-16. I'll be back in a bit, I'm sure.

73 Brian
--
Never under estimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Brian Hill"

Old March 29th 04, 11:27 PM
Brian Hill

Thank Guys. I found Kees great website. I'm sure this will be a year long
project. I want it to look as good as it works. What kind of dial and drive
do you guys think is the best. I like that 2 speed drive on Norm Deemer's
(WA5HPJ) HBR-16. I'll be back in a bit, I'm sure.

73 Brian
--
Never under estimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Brian Hill"

Old March 30th 04, 12:43 AM
Ron

The Eddystone 898 is, without any question in my mind, the ultimate
tuning dial. It is also the most difficult to work with (it's output
shaft is elevated rather high) and the most expensive.

Darrell, WA5VGO

Old March 30th 04, 02:58 AM
N2EY

In article , "Brian Hill"
writes:

What kind of dial and drive
do you guys think is the best.

If you're building the classic HBR-16 and you don't want to modify the front
end layout, then *the* dial to use is the Eddystone 898. Also keep an eye out
for the Millen 39016 coupler (special type that has no backlash and tolerates
misalignment) and of course a suitable tuning capacitor.

While 898s have drawn amazing prices on eBay in the past, (well over $100)
recent sales have been quite a bit lower. There are two of them on auction
right now, and two closed last week. (insert standard disclaimer here).

73 de Jim, N2EY