Old April 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:36:17 GMT, "Harold E. Johnson"
wrote:

An 8 MHz filter doesn't have to be physically large Paul,

Hi Q coils in that frequency range in compact sizes... they don't seem
to go together. :-(

and efficiency
drops pretty fast (Think like a rock) as the multiplication factor goes up.
Have you ever actually defined what it is you're trying to do? Some control
thing in your 70 MHz band? Or real power for some application? Hard to hit a
moving target. Or is that the idea?

Yeah, moving target's good. Keep the discussion generalised and it
might help others as well. I'm not sure where the 70Mhz figure comes
from, but it's a good enough guess by whoever made it. However, the
final desired frequency in my particular case is in the region of
40Mhz which will be achieved by mixing down with the output from
another oscillator and filtering.

Old April 14th 04, 07:54 PM
Tom Bruhns

Tony wrote in message . ..
This is a good learning experience for lots of us out here. Any chance of
scanning the printed material and posting , say on a.b.s.e?

Nope, sorry. I don't have access to the binaries groups, and in
addition, it's copyrighted material. I'm willing to make a very
limited number of copies, but not to post it.

The articles I have are old HP Journal articles, available in
"Inventions of Opportunity," copyright Hewlett-Packard Company, 1983,
ISBN 0-9612030-0-5. You may be able to find that in your library.
The articles in that book were chosen to represent seminal ideas and
products that opened new horizons, so the SRD items are as much for
historical interest as for technical info.

You'll find a little more modern technical info in HP AN-1054,
available at http://rf.rfglobalnet.com/library/Ap...s/1/An1054.pdf.

Cheers,
Tom

Old April 15th 04, 12:24 AM
Harold E. Johnson

You'll find a little more modern technical info in HP AN-1054,
available at

http://rf.rfglobalnet.com/library/Ap...s/1/An1054.pdf.

T'aint fair Tom! That URL is FB and I have it added to my library, but when
I tried to trick it and deleted the AN-1054.PDF, and retyped AN-983.PDF, it
can't find that one. Suppose I could write a little program to check AN-1
and step 1 then find out what if anything I had. Is there some secret code
as to how this all works?

Regards

W4ZCB

(I suppoe it wouldn't be a secret anymore if you told me.)

Old April 15th 04, 06:57 AM
Tom Bruhns

"Harold E. Johnson" wrote in message news:YKjfc.38031$_K3.164147@attbi_s53...
You'll find a little more modern technical info in HP AN-1054,
available at

http://rf.rfglobalnet.com/library/Ap...s/1/An1054.pdf.

T'aint fair Tom!

Ja, life's like dat.

That URL is FB and I have it added to my library, but when
I tried to trick it and deleted the AN-1054.PDF, and retyped AN-983.PDF, it
can't find that one. Suppose I could write a little program to check AN-1
and step 1 then find out what if anything I had. Is there some secret code
as to how this all works?

Well, I just typed a search string about SRDs into Google to find the
AN1054 reference. I don't have any magical ideas about finding ALL of
them on the web, but when I moved out library a few months ago, I made
a point of NOT tossing out the ap notes. There's a chance we have it
at work. Now, can I remember to look? Luckily, I didn't find enough
stamps to mail the other stuff off to you and John yet, so if I can
find it, I can stick that one in too. Best magic I can think of for
it at the moment. There are some other SRD-related ones listed in my
Communications Components catalog from 1993: AN918, AN928, (AN983),
AN984, AN989. It does list HP part numbers for each one. "To order
literature, ... 1-800-537-7715" but that's from a long time ago...

Cheers,
Tom

Old April 15th 04, 09:12 AM
Barry Lennox

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:23:09 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

The only distributor-stock SRDs I know of are the M/Acom MA44767,
MA44768, MA44769 parts, all SOT-23 and dirt cheap. I think Penstock
carries them. The '68 or '69 should be good for multiplication to 2
GHz. For high ratios, an SRD will beat a plain diode by a huge amount.
There are lots of appnotes around about using them as multipliers.

I have a bunch in stock and can send a few to anybody who wants to
play.

MPulse microwave used to be pretty good with samples, I have some
MP4065 SRDs that work well.

Tel # used to be 408 432 1480

Barry lennox