Old April 9th 04, 06:38 PM
Paul Burridge

Default RF filters and Impedance Matching

Hi all,

On page 57 of RF circuit Design, Chris Bowick sets out a filter design
example. I've posted this to a.b.s.e under the same subject header. He
claims that the filter in question - a low pass Butterwoth - matches
50 ohms source to 500 ohms load. However, having checked this out with
the aid of a Smith Chart, it appears there is some capacitive
reactance present that would require the addition of a shunt inductor
to neutralize. However, this would of course totally screw up the
filter's characteristics. Upon closer examination, it appears
impossible that this type of arrangement could ever be designed
without introducing some reactance into the signal path. Or am I nuts?
I'd always thought of these kind of filters as being purely resistive
overall at Fo but is that really the case? It don't look like it...

Design criteria:

Centre frequency: 35Mhz
Response -60dB at 105Mhz
zero ripple(!)