Old April 12th 04, 02:25 AM
Ron

Default GS35B bias

Hi All,

I am working on an HF Amp project. This is my first tube (valve) project
and it is all most finished and to my delight has great output. The
question I have is about bias. I am using a 2N3055 transistor controlled
by a 20 volt 1 watt zener with a rotary switch with s string of 3.3 volt
1 watt zeners that can be switched in or out to adjust the bias. This
works great as I can adjust the key down no drive idle current from any
where from 60 to 140ma. Now the problem is that in standby mode there is
still about 20 at 30ma of plate current because of the so called "cut
off" resistor (50K @ 10W) is still letting B- flow to the bias circuit.
So can I simply eliminate this cut off resistor? Or would that cause the
tube to open up and draw a massive amount of current? Or should I try to
increase the value of the cutoff resistor?

Sorry if this is a simple question, But I just don't have much
experience with power tube.

Thanks for your help
Ron