Old April 13th 04, 04:32 AM
randy

Default Help Finding Latching Relay

I'm looking for a source of new latching relays.

Coil needs to be 12 to 24 volt and contacts of 10 amps at 120 volts
AC.

The catch is I don't want any dual coil type relays. I have an
application in which I want a contact closure on the coil to turn the
relay on and another closure will turn it off again.

I would even be receptive to a solid-state module that would give me
the pulse on / pluse off action that I could use to control a relay.

Randy

BC
Old April 13th 04, 05:22 AM
John Popelish

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-98-12.html
http://www.weisd.com/store2/CD%20692-24.html
http://www.broadcast.harris.com/prod...sku=RDLST-LCR2

--
John Popelish

Old April 14th 04, 02:05 AM
Dave Platt

I'm looking for a source of new latching relays.

Coil needs to be 12 to 24 volt and contacts of 10 amps at 120 volts
AC.

The X10 Appliance modules contain a latching relay. At about $10 a piece
this might be your best choice.

The last time I looked at one of these, what I found wasn't a latching
relay in the usual sense. It's a solenoid which drives a rotating
two-position switching thingie. There isn't a separate "set" and
"reset" coil.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old April 14th 04, 02:09 AM
Gary Schafer

I have a bunch of 15 or 20 amp latching relays that were used in house
wiring. But they do have 2 coils. One to latch and one to unlatch. 24
vac coils.

73
Gary K4FMX

Old April 14th 04, 04:47 AM
randy

This type of relay would work depending on the coil voltage. However
I would guess that voltage is also 120 volt.

What I am trying to do is have the ability to switch 4-5 different
lights (150-1000 watt) from several locations within the same building
without all the hassle of 2 and 3-way switches.

My plan is to have a relay bank that these lights would source from
(total wire run of 60-75 feet) then have small low voltage/current
pushbutton switches activate the relays. 4-5 small pushbuttons could
control any light in the building from that location.

I have thought about X10 but have also read more bad than good about
the wierd things they do or don't do.

Randy

Old April 14th 04, 07:40 AM
Gary hildebrand

randy wrote in message . ..
I'm looking for a source of new latching relays.

Coil needs to be 12 to 24 volt and contacts of 10 amps at 120 volts
AC.

The catch is I don't want any dual coil type relays. I have an
application in which I want a contact closure on the coil to turn the
relay on and another closure will turn it off again.

I would even be receptive to a solid-state module that would give me
the pulse on / pluse off action that I could use to control a relay.

Randy

BC

All latching relays have a dual coil setup, with a mechanical latching
arrangement on the armature.

If you want just one coil, you need a simple flip/flop driving a
transistor whose collector load is the relay coil. Lots of example
circuits in the Handbook of Electronic Circuits Vols 1-7.

Gary Hildebrand WA7KKP