Old April 14th 04, 10:28 PM
Howard

Default LCF Software Wanted

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am seeking a piece of software I once used that calculates LCF in
various combinations This software was DOS and is freeware.

For the life of me I cannot remember that name of it.

Does anyone know of freeware that does this, and where it may be
found?

Thanks es 73 de WA2AFD
Old April 15th 04, 03:05 AM
Tom Bruhns

RFSim99 includes a calculator for L, C, F and Z, along with lots of
other good stuff. The LCFZ calculator lets you lock any two and gives
you the others. Should be able to find it easily with a Google
search.

Cheers,
Tom

Old April 16th 04, 08:19 AM
Pete KE9OA

The DOS software you are refering to might be RF Tools, from Teledyne. It
calculates attenuator values, Xc, Xl, resonant frequency, etc. If you do a
search for RF Toolbox, you should be able to find the zip file. If you need
a copy, let me know.

Pete

"Tom Bruhns" wrote in message
m...
RFSim99 includes a calculator for L, C, F and Z, along with lots of
other good stuff. The LCFZ calculator lets you lock any two and gives
you the others. Should be able to find it easily with a Google
search.

Cheers,
Tom

. com...

Old April 16th 04, 11:51 AM
Reg Edwards

The DOS software you are refering to might be RF Tools, from Teledyne. It
calculates attenuator values, Xc, Xl, resonant frequency, etc. If you do a
search for RF Toolbox, you should be able to find the zip file. If you

need
a copy, let me know.

===============================

The trouble with software calculating tools is one doesn't know whether one
has the correct answer or not. Rubbish in - rubbish out!

Nothing can replace an understanding of what is to be done and a pocket
calculator.

Old April 16th 04, 04:56 PM
Reed Park

Howard wrote:

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am seeking a piece of software I once used that calculates LCF in
various combinations This software was DOS and is freeware.

For the life of me I cannot remember that name of it.

Does anyone know of freeware that does this, and where it may be
found?

Thanks es 73 de WA2AFD

Try the following. Great collection of some good software
from VE3ERP, and it's free.

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/HamCalcem.html

7 3
Reed

--

Looking for information on Marconi SMR-3 and
Northern Electric R8119A receivers of WW 2.

ARROW Research (Avro CF-105)
Reed Park
252 Gauvin Road
Dieppe, New Brunswick
Canada E1A1M1

Amateur Radio V E 1 N U
WW II, # 19 SET user
Paraset replica builder and owner of a real one.

Old April 17th 04, 06:27 PM
Tom Bruhns

BTW, I've found that a graph of L, C, F and X is very often more
convenient and faster to use than a calculator, be it a
general-purpose calculator or one specifically for L/C/F/X. Depending
on the graph you use, it might well be accurate enough for engineering
use...it's not difficult to read values to a very few percent, and
you'll usually be hard pressed to find parts that meet that sort of
tolerance and not require tuning to achieve the desired resonance
anyway. The graphic presentation helps me visualize what's going on,
just as a Smith chart helps me visualize the effects of components in
a matching network, and that visualization is something I can't get
from just numbers on a screen.

If you don't find such a graph, you can make your own from log-log
graph paper. You then can put L and C on the x and y axes, and the
lines of constant frequency and constant reactance become 45 degree
diagonals; or you can put X and F on the axes and L and C become the
diagonals. 3x3 decades is easy to use, if you are comfortable with
mental scaling between pico, nano and micro. Or you can use 6x6 with
lower resolution but less need to scale.

Cheers,
Tom