Old April 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
Bob

Default First time using ladderline??

Hi, First time using the ladder line, Please offer your opinions?

I have the 50 foot tower, it is right outside the shack window, so will be
drilling the two small holes in the sill, then fishing through approximately
12" or 18" then replace the spacers to keep the distance between the leads
constant. That leaves the remaining 98 feet outside of which I need a
distance of approx 35 or 40 feet of the ladder line to reach my center fed
80m or two wires 66feet each leg. What are my options with the left over 50
feet (approx) of ladder line? Coil it up? Cut it? And what are the rules
about keeping the ladder line away from the tower and steal guy wires that
are not insulated? I only want to do this once now and first time using the
ladder line, all suggestions appreciated, thanks.....

Old April 23rd 04, 06:59 PM
Bob

I'd suggest cutting off most of the excess, but leave some slack in case you
need to redo the terminations.

As for the trim, I'd leave at least two inches of space to any surrounding
metal. Nothing is very critical for 80 meters anyway; in fact, using coax
would be easier and probably work just as well. That's what I do.

73, Bob

Old May 5th 04, 12:55 PM
Andy Bullington

If you are going to use your dipole for any bands other than 80 meters,
ladderline is vastly more efficient. I would definitely NOT coil the
ladderline. Been there done that...didn't work for me. What are you tuning
your ladderline with? I just built the Richard Measures' Balanced Balanced
Tuner for mine and it works great. The article is on the ARRL website.
Andy W1AWB