Old May 5th 04, 11:39 AM
Paul Burridge

Default Superfast Power MOSFETs for a Linear Amp?

Hi all,

I was thinking about having a go at contriving (I won't say
"designing" for obvious reasons) a class 'C' RF amp using MOSFETs
instead of the usual BJTs/toobz. They seem - on the face of it at
least - ideally suited to the task. I'm just a bit concerned about
whether even the fastest ones would be fast enough, even given
adequate gate drive. I'd be surprised if they weren't good for at
least a few Mhz., but am quite frankly clueless as to MUF. Anyone
know?

Thanks,

p.
--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.
Old May 5th 04, 12:25 PM
Rene Tschaggelar

Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi all,

I was thinking about having a go at contriving (I won't say
"designing" for obvious reasons) a class 'C' RF amp using MOSFETs
instead of the usual BJTs/toobz. They seem - on the face of it at
least - ideally suited to the task. I'm just a bit concerned about
whether even the fastest ones would be fast enough, even given
adequate gate drive. I'd be surprised if they weren't good for at
least a few Mhz., but am quite frankly clueless as to MUF. Anyone
know?

Paul,
what is the frequency range and the amplitude ?
I assume a 50 Ohm system.

Rene
Old May 5th 04, 12:32 PM
SioL

"Rene Tschaggelar" wrote in message ...
Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi all,

I was thinking about having a go at contriving (I won't say
"designing" for obvious reasons) a class 'C' RF amp using MOSFETs
instead of the usual BJTs/toobz. They seem - on the face of it at
least - ideally suited to the task. I'm just a bit concerned about
whether even the fastest ones would be fast enough, even given
adequate gate drive. I'd be surprised if they weren't good for at
least a few Mhz., but am quite frankly clueless as to MUF. Anyone
know?

Paul,
what is the frequency range and the amplitude ?
I assume a 50 Ohm system.

Yep, that's a good question for Win.

Suitable general purpose MOSFETs for RF finals (probably only feasible in the
shortwave range) and best way to drive them.

Let's say the more power the better (10-200W).

SioL

Old May 5th 04, 03:54 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:25:52 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar
wrote:

Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi all,

I was thinking about having a go at contriving (I won't say
"designing" for obvious reasons) a class 'C' RF amp using MOSFETs
instead of the usual BJTs/toobz. They seem - on the face of it at
least - ideally suited to the task. I'm just a bit concerned about
whether even the fastest ones would be fast enough, even given
adequate gate drive. I'd be surprised if they weren't good for at
least a few Mhz., but am quite frankly clueless as to MUF. Anyone
know?

Paul,
what is the frequency range and the amplitude ?
I assume a 50 Ohm system.

Yeah, 50 in; 50-75 out say. As for frequency, that's what I'm trying
to establish: the highest useable frequency device for say 50W-100W
out. Amplitude's subservient to power. What kind of frequency upper
limit might be achievable? Say with the best gate driver arrangement
conceivable?
--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.
Old May 6th 04, 01:13 AM
Ken Scharf

wrote:

Paul Burridge wrote:

[...]

Mosfets in the MRF5xx series (511, 521 for example) have been used
up to the 10 meter band with good results. A pair of them can give
at least 50w pep output. Depending on the input/output circuitry
used and the transistor they require 12-28v power supply. Layout
is somewhat critical.

Old May 6th 04, 05:27 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 05 May 2004 20:13:01 -0400, Ken Scharf
wrote:

Mosfets in the MRF5xx series (511, 521 for example) have been used
up to the 10 meter band with good results. A pair of them can give
at least 50w pep output. Depending on the input/output circuitry
used and the transistor they require 12-28v power supply. Layout
is somewhat critical.

THanks, very interesting. I wonder if anyone's tried paralleling up
half a dozen of 'em for more power?

--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.
Old May 6th 04, 05:56 PM
Highland Ham

THanks, very interesting. I wonder if anyone's tried paralleling up
half a dozen of 'em for more power?

Mind in-&output capacitances ,which add-on when parallelling.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH