Old May 5th 04, 11:39 PM
Paul Burridge

Default Another unusual waveshape...

Hi,

I'll avoid posting a screen shot of this one since so many people seem
to have difficulty finding them on abse or can't get the group at all
from their servers.

Imagine a two-state, high/low (on/off) wave form; i.e., negligible
rise/fall times. Amplitude 5V. A bit like a square wave, in fact,
except that the on and off period appears *different* between one
cycle and the next and the next and so on. There's quite a bit of
variation (anything from one whole time division to up to seven divs
and all times between the two). There does appear to be an eventual
series repetition, but it's only noticeable after about 30 cycles. I'm
not sure how I've ended up with this, but would it be rich in odd and
even order harmonics and suitable for generating them for frequency
multiplication purposes, d'you think?

Thanks,
P.
--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.
Old May 6th 04, 12:03 AM
Joerg

Hi Paul,

Seems like a huge amount of frequency modulation. Or a pulse width
modulator? Where did it come from?

abse should be accessible from most servers. But one technique that is
easier for people is to upload it to a "scratch pad section" on you web
site, a sub domain which most hosting companies let you create. Then you
can use a fast FTP tool such as WISE-FTP and zoom it up there, and delete
it within seconds once you think it's no longer of interest. This allows
you to paste a link right here in your post. Just avoid doing it the cheap
way, via one of those "free" web space deals that swamp people with
pop-ups.

Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com

Old May 6th 04, 08:25 AM
Robert Baer

Paul Burridge wrote:

[...]

Randumb duty cycle modulation would only alter the lower harmonic
spectrum; the rise anf fall times are the major source of frequency
multiples.

Old May 6th 04, 12:40 PM
N. Thornton

Paul Burridge wrote in message . ..

[...]

Think about it this way: say it has at least one 3f half cycle per 30
cycles. Therefore if you feed it to a high Q filter that rings at 3f,
it will duly give you 3f.

But only if the 3f is present in the original wave. To ring at 3f off
one half cycle per 30 cycles it needs to be reasonably high q, and a
high q filter is not going to work off 2.7f, so a fixed pattern is
going to be better than a random pattern that might not contain the
right f at times.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone critiques this 'visual' analysis
though, I wait and see.

Regards, NT

Old May 6th 04, 05:27 PM
Paul Burridge

On 6 May 2004 01:14:53 GMT, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

Seems to me that if you're not sure how you ended up with it, then it's not
suitable for anything, because you don't know when it'll change to something
else nor how to make it happen reliably.

One way to end up with a waveform like that is to pass random noise into a
comparator. Another is to use a shift register to create a pseudorandom
sequence generator, and then look at one bit of it.

That gives me an idea, Walter... How about I amplify the white noise
from a suitably noisy diode and feed it through a Schmidt or something
similar? What sort of harmonic richness would that give me?

--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.

Old May 7th 04, 04:27 AM
YD

On Wed, 05 May 2004 23:39:08 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

[...]

What's the circuit supposed to do? What's the frequency? What is it
made of? What's on the inputs?

You probably screwed up as usual and need your betters to bail you
out.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.