Old May 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Ken Scharf

Default Ham Software ???

Bill Turner wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2004 08:03:30 -0400, "Bob" wrote:

Hi

What is the software hams use to identify contacts, record and log them? Is
it freeware? Do you need to be logged onto the net for its updates to its
directories? Any advice always appreciated, links or info,,,,,

Thank you

Bob

There are perhaps a dozen or so available. My favorite is the DXLabs
suite of applications, which is freeware and available at

http://www.qsl.net/dxlab/

The individual programs can be run alone, but the real power of the
suite comes from the way they interconnect with each other. This may be
more power than you need, but it will do anything you are likely to ever
require. It's completely free and contains no advertising. I wouldn't
be without it.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

What about for linux?

Old May 9th 04, 07:48 PM
el lector se guarda

You will find linux and mac logging at URL:
http://ac6v.com/logging.htm

Use CNTRL F search for linux and mac

--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

"Uwe" wrote in message
in article , Ken Scharf at

Old May 9th 04, 07:48 PM
el lector se guarda

You will find linux and mac logging at URL:
http://ac6v.com/logging.htm

Use CNTRL F search for linux and mac

--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

"Uwe" wrote in message
in article , Ken Scharf at

Old May 9th 04, 10:52 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Bob wrote:
What is the software hams use to identify contacts, record and log them? Is
it freeware? Do you need to be logged onto the net for its updates to its
directories? Any advice always appreciated, links or info,,,,,

There are as many answers to this question as there are hamsgrin...
Seriously, there must be dozens if not hundreds of logging programs out
there. The ac6v.com link posted elsewhere in this thread is a good
place to start looking.

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by "identify contacts".
Usually that's done by copying the other guy's callsign over the air.
(arguably, you don't have a contact if you didn't copy the other guy's
call over the radio!) Or do you mean to find more information about a
station once you've copied the callsign?

There are databases that will cross-reference callsigns to names &
addresses; www.qrz.com is a popular one, I think they also still sell
their database on CD so you can use it even if you aren't logged onto
the 'Net. There are simpler databases that will cross-reference a
callsign to that station's country. In some logging programs, this
lookup function is part of the program; in others, a separate program is
used. (often, just a web browser)

As for my own station, I have a homemade program running as Perl CGI
scripts on a computer in the den; QSOs are logged in a MySQL database,
and the Windows computer in the hamshack attaches to the webserver in
the den to log(/search) QSOs. Works pretty well, though I don't have
any of the address lookup functions. (guess I should add that someday)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66