Old January 11th 16, 09:30 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Almost Unbelievable ...

On 10/01/2016 23:13, Fred Roberts wrote:
On 10/01/2016 22:19, Brian Reay wrote:

Especially if, having qualified, and supposedly spent years building
kit etc., you don't know the basics.

I know what you mean. 40 years on and some planks can't even get the
basics of CW.

I wonder why manufacturers don't make rigs without CW, that would be far
less embarrassing for the code-less. Oh! Wait! They do.....they are
known as handie-talkies, and the no-coders obsess about programming
them(must lock it to the 2m band!), software, programming cables, and
which CTCSS each repeater uses.

Did you see that one new Full complained that activity on his local
repeaters has fallen off since he was licensed? Utterly coincidental, of
course. He sounded like the sort of person who gets stuck in a traffic
jam with no-one returning his calls.

--
Spike

"They thought that because they had power, they had wisdom"

- with apologies to Stephen Vincent Benet

Old January 11th 16, 10:57 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 11/01/2016 09:30, Spike wrote:

I know what you mean. 40 years on and some planks can't even get
the basics of CW.

I wonder why manufacturers don't make rigs without CW, that would be
far less embarrassing for the code-less. Oh! Wait! They do.....they
are known as handie-talkies, and the no-coders obsess about
programming them(must lock it to the 2m band!), software, programming
cables, and which CTCSS each repeater uses.

I have lost count of the many threads, always started by the code-less,
on the many forums I subscribe to asking which microphone is best for
xxxx radio. Talk about embarrassing! Then we have next level code-less
fcuk wittery AKA ESSB. Did you mention obsession?

Did you see that one new Full complained that activity on his local
repeaters has fallen off since he was licensed? Utterly coincidental,
of course.

Do you think it's possible the local repeater community didn't realise
what an endless source of amusement had fallen into their laps?

He sounded like the sort of person who gets stuck in a
traffic jam with no-one returning his calls.

The first, "Could anyone tell me what repeater this is please" probably
did the damage ;-)

--
Extend ****s law - make 'em wear a cheat sheet 24/7
Old January 11th 16, 11:41 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.equipment gareth wrote:
"highlandham" wrote in message

In ham radio , for most licensees ,the prime focus is on operating

Then they are indistinguishable from CBers

That is a fact and IMHO there is no reason to keep moaning about it.

There is every reason to speak out against the dumbing down of a proud
technical pursuit

I take it obtaining an amateur radio license is your only notable
accomplishment in life which would explain why you are such a self
rightous ass hole.

Here's a news flash for you:

Children were passing the tests over 50 years ago when they were much
more difficult.

Passing such tests shows nothing more than you are willing to put forth
the effort to learn a subject; it does NOT make you any better than
anyone else.

Yes you used to see all the precocious little brats in QST...thank god in
the UK it used to be 14 years old before you could get a Licence...

Old January 11th 16, 11:42 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Spike" wrote in message
On 10/01/2016 23:13, Fred Roberts wrote:
On 10/01/2016 22:19, Brian Reay wrote:

Especially if, having qualified, and supposedly spent years building
kit etc., you don't know the basics.

I know what you mean. 40 years on and some planks can't even get the
basics of CW.

I wonder why manufacturers don't make rigs without CW, that would be far
less embarrassing for the code-less. Oh! Wait! They do.....they are known
as handie-talkies, and the no-coders obsess about programming them(must
lock it to the 2m band!), software, programming cables, and which CTCSS
each repeater uses.

Did you see that one new Full complained that activity on his local
repeaters has fallen off since he was licensed? Utterly coincidental, of
course. He sounded like the sort of person who gets stuck in a traffic jam
with no-one returning his calls.

ha ha ...and it was a trucker...I wouldn't reply to a trucker the trouble I
have had with them....

Old January 11th 16, 12:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.equipment gareth wrote:
"highlandham" wrote in message

In ham radio , for most licensees ,the prime focus is on operating

Then they are indistinguishable from CBers

That is a fact and IMHO there is no reason to keep moaning about it.

There is every reason to speak out against the dumbing down of a proud
technical pursuit

I take it obtaining an amateur radio license is your only notable
accomplishment in life which would explain why you are such a self
rightous ass hole.

He also claims to have a degree, but it's from some backwater, regional
university so has essentially nil value.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Old January 11th 16, 02:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Spike wrote:
On 10/01/2016 23:13, Fred Roberts wrote:
On 10/01/2016 22:19, Brian Reay wrote:

Especially if, having qualified, and supposedly spent years building
kit etc., you don't know the basics.

I know what you mean. 40 years on and some planks can't even get the
basics of CW.

I wonder why manufacturers don't make rigs without CW, that would be far
less embarrassing for the code-less. Oh! Wait! They do.....they are known
as handie-talkies, and the no-coders obsess about programming them(must
lock it to the 2m band!), software, programming cables, and which CTCSS each repeater uses.

Did you see that one new Full complained that activity on his local
repeaters has fallen off since he was licensed? Utterly coincidental, of
course. He sounded like the sort of person who gets stuck in a traffic
jam with no-one returning his calls.

Monumentally gotten to, OM.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old January 11th 16, 06:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In rec.radio.amateur.equipment Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If someone passes the tests and follows the rules, what difference does
age make?

--
Jim Pennino
Old January 11th 16, 07:15 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 11/01/2016 16:53, Brian Reay wrote:

I have lost count of the many threads, always started by the
code-less, on the many forums I subscribe to asking which
microphone is best for xxxx radio.

You have a vivid imagination Frank, unless you are frequenting CB
forums that is.

The truth is Brian that CB'ers frequent the forums I subscribe to, I
mean you yourself have replied to this post. You might want to check out
the apache labs groups where the most recent "which microphone thread"
was started by one of your codeless NUHam CB peers. Such fcuk wittery in
an international forum, you much be so proud of the scheme you designed
and implemented!

Of course, given your history, that is more than
likely- keeping in touch with your old crowd.

I have no history Brian the childish and puerile fantasies you post here
about me. I must /really/ intimidate you.

Talk about embarrassing! Then we have next level code-less
fcuk wittery AKA ESSB. Did you mention obsession?

Did you see that one new Full complained that activity on his
local repeaters has fallen off since he was licensed? Utterly
coincidental, of course.

Do you think it's possible the local repeater community didn't
realise what an endless source of amusement had fallen into their
laps?

He sounded like the sort of person who gets stuck in a traffic
jam with no-one returning his calls.

The first, "Could anyone tell me what repeater this is please"
probably did the damage ;-)

Again, your vivid imagination Frank.

Moi? You're fantasising about me again YFI.

Is your knowledge of operating
so limited that you don't know the meaning of simplex?

What has this got to do with me? You're clearly out of touch with
reality Brian. Dear me, how the mighty have fallen.

You can be
honest, I doubt anyone would be shocked if you admitted it, after all
your technical ineptitude is well known.

Such an imagination! I'm in awe!

--
Extend ****s law - make 'em wear a cheat sheet 24/7
Old January 11th 16, 07:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

because you think some nice burd is calling CQ then you find out it is a
little boy ....

Old January 11th 16, 09:02 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

When I first learned about amateur radio, I was eight or nine. Something
about it appealed to me. But when I looked into it, you had to be fifteen
or older here in Canada. A long way off.

I have no idea whether I could have passed at that age, there was a slow
period but I know in the summer of 1970, I went through all the
"electronic" books (more like electrical) in the children's section of the
library and soon had access to the adult library.

I found the hobby electronic magazines in January of 1971, 45 years ago,
and had an "associate" membership in the ARRL (you could only be a full
member if you were licensed, and the only way to get QST was by becoming
am member) in April of 1971. That's when I started reading as much about
electronics and radio as I could. I didnt' have to worry about taking a
test since that was years in the future.

Then in December of 1971, a tiny piece of filler in the newspaper. They
were changing the rules, you no longer had to be fifteen to get the
license.

I fiddled around to find a local amateur radio club, no internet back then
to find it easily, and joined the code & theory class they held each year
in mid-Febrary, when it had started in October. The kid sitting next to
me said "you'll never pass, you came in too late".

It turned out the rules didnt' change till the end of April 1972. I took
the test the first chance I could, about mid-May, and passed everything
but the code receiving (I didn't have a receiver good enough, I'd bought a
junky Hallicrafters transistorized shortwave receiver in the summer of
1971, spending all my accumulated birthday money, thinking I could listen
to shortwave broadcasts while waiting to get old enough to take the test).
The kid sitting next to me didn't pass, took the code & theory class a
second time, i think he eventually passed but can't remember.

I went down in mid-June, took the code receiving test again, and passed.
So I was 12 and a half when I passed, probably the youngest ham in Canada
at the time, but I didn't get my picture in the paper. The first time I
was on the air, it took a while for the license to arrive, it was just
after the Rolling Stone's equipment truck blew up here.

My story wasn't exceptional, lots of people got their ham licenses early
on. I'm not sure how old Howard Amstrong was, but he may have even played
with radio before there was an actual ham license.

I suspect a difference to watch is whether the kid shows an interest in
the hobby, or are doing it because someone in their family is a ham and
steers them, or those places in the US where they teach amateur radio to a
class of elementary school kids; in both cases they can pass the test
fine, but may not have the interest in the hobby to make much of it.

I may not be a good ham, but amateur radio was terribly influential in my
life, going from a 12 year old into the adult world, reading books and
magazines "beyond my age", learning about learning. I made my first
subway trip by myself to get to the parts store, ended up walking there
not long after so I've always walked most places. It gave me a vantage
point away from my "peers". All that I am comes from amateur radio. It
might have come from something else, I was already interested in science
before I found out about ham radio, but it was amateur radio that did it
in the end.

It's a weird thing pursuing the family tree and discovering a distant
relative with the same great, great, great grandparents who also happens
to be a ham.

Michael

Almost Unbelievable ... gareth Equipment 31 January 12th 16 12:43 PM
Unbelievable.......... Cobra148GTL CB 1 March 7th 09 03:49 PM
Unbelievable... Some people! PowerHouse Communications Swap 4 April 10th 07 11:35 AM
Unbelievable... Some people! Christopher Cox Antenna 0 April 10th 07 11:35 AM
Ebay DX-394 - unbelievable $ [email protected] Shortwave 6 December 17th 06 10:02 AM