Old January 25th 16, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default RFD away?

These three NGs seem to be largely disused these days, apart from those of
we who are trying to keep discussion about amateur radio alive on Usenet.

Time to face up to facts and to do away with them?

Old January 25th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016, gareth wrote:

These three NGs seem to be largely disused these days, apart from those of
we who are trying to keep discussion about amateur radio alive on Usenet.

Time to face up to facts and to do away with them?

Don't even mention something like this.

The Overloard is part of the Big 8 management group, if I remember
properly. He'd just love to shut these down, leaving the moderated
newsgroup in place.

Michael

Old January 26th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 1/26/2016 7:53 AM, Brian Reay wrote:
Michael Black wrote:

These three NGs seem to be largely disused these days, apart from those of
we who are trying to keep discussion about amateur radio alive on Usenet.

Time to face up to facts and to do away with them?

Don't even mention something like this.

The Overloard is part of the Big 8 management group, if I remember
properly. He'd just love to shut these down, leaving the moderated
newsgroup in place.

Michael

I doubt he needs to be disturbed. There are often some interesting threads
in the various groups. The only issue is when someone tries to start some
nonsense thread, either with some silly pseudoscience or the prime
intention of stirring up a row so he can use his quiver of abusive terms.
If he could be ignored or excluded, the environment would be improved.

Brian,

Gee, I wonder who that might be. Maybe someone who isn't a *real*
amateur, and doesn't even belong in these newsgroups?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old January 26th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:

[...]

There are a couple of those who cause problems in the amateur groups.
They've no real interest in amateur radio and often plague other groups as
well. Sometimes they've been blacklisted, removed, etc.

The best thing, if you can't do any of those, is just ignore them.
Eventually they will go and try to annoy someone else. They need the
attention so it is a reliable method.

Yes, we have to ignore the sources of noise... and all the echoes.

--

Rick
Old January 26th 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:

[...]

The trouble with that is ignoring a problem never makes it go away.
ukra is a perfect example. And there are other newsgroups which have
been effectively destroyed by trolls. Look at alt.computer.consultants,
for instance. It used to be a vibrant, friendly newsgroup. Then trolls
came and chased the consultants away. Finally the trolls got tired and
left. It's now a dead group.

--
==================

Old January 27th 16, 08:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Brian Reay wrote:
Michael Black wrote:

Don't even mention something like this.

The Overloard is part of the Big 8 management group, if I remember
properly. He'd just love to shut these down, leaving the moderated
newsgroup in place.

Michael

I doubt he needs to be disturbed. There are often some interesting threads
in the various groups. The only issue is when someone tries to start some
nonsense thread, either with some silly pseudoscience or the prime
intention of stirring up a row so he can use his quiver of abusive terms.
If he could be ignored or excluded, the environment would be improved.

This thread is possibly the most blatant attention seeking I've ever seen
from Gareth. Goes to show him for the troll he is, we shun him in ukra so
he comes over here to threaten these group's users with removal of their
forums. Despicable, really.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old January 27th 16, 10:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur

On 26/01/2016 17:33, rickman wrote:

The best thing, if you can't do any of those, is just ignore them.
Eventually they will go and try to annoy someone else. They need the
attention so it is a reliable method.

Yes, we have to ignore the sources of noise... and all the echoes.

Over in UKRA we have just instituted this very policy. It is proving so
effective that in the last 24 hours the disruptive elements have nearly
completely gone away - mostly to groups like RRAA and its sisters. One
or two have appeared on legal groups, for example, where they tend to
get the bum's rush also.

You are more than welcome to them.

--
Spike

"They thought that because they had power, they had wisdom"

- with apologies to Stephen Vincent Benet

Old January 27th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur

On 1/27/2016 4:28 AM, Spike wrote:
On 26/01/2016 17:33, rickman wrote:

The best thing, if you can't do any of those, is just ignore them.
Eventually they will go and try to annoy someone else. They need the
attention so it is a reliable method.

Yes, we have to ignore the sources of noise... and all the echoes.

Over in UKRA we have just instituted this very policy. It is proving so
effective that in the last 24 hours the disruptive elements have nearly
completely gone away - mostly to groups like RRAA and its sisters. One
or two have appeared on legal groups, for example, where they tend to
get the bum's rush also.

You are more than welcome to them.

There are two ways to improve the SNR. Lower the noise or raise the
signal. In this group there just isn't much signal, so even when the
noise is low the SNR is still not good.

I made a post about loop antennas a week ago and no one replied. I'm
starting to think this group is only interested in the drama of who
should post and who should be ignored.

--

Rick
Old January 27th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur

"rickman" wrote in message
I made a post about loop antennas a week ago and no one replied. I'm
starting to think this group is only interested in the drama of who should
post and who should be ignored.

It takes all sorts and conditions of men (to borrow a phrase from the Church
of
England) to make up the world of amateur radio, whether differing in sex,
sexual
orientation, gender, race, religion, politics, geography, weight, education,
height and hair,
so that it is counter-productive to conduct your self by attacking
individuals.

How much better to discuss only the technical issues raised, and if you do
not
understand those issues, then keep schtum.

Old January 27th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur

On 27/01/2016 15:33, rickman wrote:

I made a post about loop antennas a week ago and no one replied. I'm
starting to think this group is only interested in the drama of who
should post and who should be ignored.

I saw your post, but didn't reply as I'm not into transmitting loops.
Perhaps no-one really understood your question, it's not the first time
this sort of thing has happened.