Old February 4th 16, 01:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Not sure where to post this - sound card drivers?

"gareth" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
bloody professional

10-4 gud buddy!

But Jim, you're a professional engineer and by all accounts, a very good
one.

And, unlike M3OSN, you're a civil engineer.

I volunteer to be a rude engineer.
--
;-)
..

Old February 4th 16, 02:29 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in news:n8vfa5$l3o$1@dont-
email.me:

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
bloody professional

10-4 gud buddy!

But Jim, you're a professional engineer and by all accounts, a very good
one.

I rather got the impression he was a surveyor to trade. Chartered or
otherwise.
Old February 4th 16, 03:07 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
bloody professional
10-4 gud buddy!

But Jim, you're a professional engineer and by all accounts, a very good
one.

I rather got the impression he was a surveyor to trade. Chartered or
otherwise.

chartered building control surveyor ....was MRICS....but it costs to much to
keep it up in early retirement...

http://www.rics.org/uk/news/news-ins...tandards-2015/

thank god it is all getting very silly ....

Old February 4th 16, 03:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
bloody professional

10-4 gud buddy!

But Jim, you're a professional engineer and by all accounts, a very good
one.

And, unlike M3OSN, you're a civil engineer.

but I don't do "building" it as a hobby that was always my point ...

Old February 4th 16, 11:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
bloody professional
10-4 gud buddy!

But Jim, you're a professional engineer and by all accounts, a very good
one.

I rather got the impression he was a surveyor to trade. Chartered or
otherwise.

chartered building control surveyor ....was MRICS....but it costs to much to
keep it up in early retirement...

http://www.rics.org/uk/news/news-ins...tandards-2015/

thank god it is all getting very silly ....

Brian's gasping for breath!
Now we've developed the technology to 'chip' and track every dog, why
not extend it to freemasons.

Old February 5th 16, 07:24 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 03/02/2016 16:11, gareth wrote:
Having been, before retirement, a professional real-time softy, I have kept
computers
out of the shack, not wishing to have a busman's holiday.

Now, I'm prepared to make the change, but in the true spirit of _REAL_
amateur radio to do everything myself.

My question is, what sound card drivers are used for the PC end of the
various softrock, SDRs, etc?

Is it via a .NET component, or perhaps the age-old DirectX approach?

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.shtml

Found this which is quite good, it covers all USB and so a lot of the
endpoint data is irrelevant but for an SDR it should be a simple case of
claiming the interface (there should be one possibly two) and opening up
a pipe to the endpoint to hoover up the data.
I am guessing that on an SDR there will be one standard 'out' endpoint
and probably a single input control interface.

What language are you planning to write it in?

Andy

Old February 5th 16, 07:33 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 04/02/2016 11:37, gareth wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Thomas Cole
writes
AndyW wrote:
snip
Hope that helps
Sadly, I doubt he understood any of it.

I certainly didn't!

I can well see from Ian's post that the usual infantile whingers
and abusers have responded, and that is only to be expected
given their emotional ages, and so the cesspit against which
they rail continues to be fed with their own effluent.

The _REAL radio amateur understands the innards of his rig
down to the last rheophore, whereas the CBer-masquerading-as-a-radio-amateur
fails to understand even the difference between sideband and sidetone.

The arrival of the general purpose computer opened up the possibility
to _REAL_ radio amateurs of doing their own programming, but, sadly,
although the computer is to be found in many shacks, the programs therein
have largely been of the Cheque book (CB) variety, making even the
traditional _REAL_ radio amateur indistinguishable from the
CBer-masquerading-as-a-radio-amateur for large parts of his shack.

I'm eager to work in the area; anybody out there with relevant experience?

Yes, as I posted I have developed driver for windows and linux. What
language are you looking to develop in?
Is it a stand-alone general purpose driver or are you looking for an
embedded driver for SDR software?
Driver I can handle but interpretation of the data is a different thing
altogether and is likely to be out of my skill set unless the
manufacturer has included some very specific technical data.

Andy

Old February 5th 16, 09:57 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPJZ4YZnqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjU8XDeh9Z0

Old June 7th 16, 03:33 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" writes:

Having been, before retirement, a professional real-time softy, I have kept
computers
out of the shack, not wishing to have a busman's holiday.

Now, I'm prepared to make the change, but in the true spirit of _REAL_
amateur radio to do everything myself.

My question is, what sound card drivers are used for the PC end of the
various softrock, SDRs, etc?

It seems to depend on the mood of the developers. I have been using a soundblaster for years and Windows 7 updated itself and told me that the device was invalid. It still works if I boot a linux machine. I'm guessing that you can't go wrong with a realTek (software based sound card - not pci). realTek never seems to have stable firmware for any of their devices. I remeber when I was picking up signals on TV after ``the broadcast'' ended...

Also be carefull of serial an parallel ports - ``why don't you convert your laser printer to wifi?'' I have a serial port that windows now calls ``unrecognized comm port''. So much for the eprom programmer. How can you break something so simple - no more 12 volts, just charge pump it....

Is it via a .NET component, or perhaps the age-old DirectX approach?

It's not recognized by windows 10, update.

Not sure where to post this - sound card drivers? gareth Equipment 18 June 7th 16 03:33 AM
sound card programming no Digital 0 December 11th 07 04:32 AM
sound card Marco S Hyman Digital 8 April 1st 05 08:17 AM
Sound card installed? FAZAMY Homebrew 0 January 7th 04 06:12 PM
sound card modem nospam Digital 3 October 11th 03 03:32 AM