Old March 5th 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KB6NU] Operating Notes: Generating RFI on 17m, 1.4 mile DX, 2 RI QSOs

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Operating Notes: Generating RFI on 17m, 1.4 mile DX, 2 RI QSOs

Last Saturday, I got on in the afternoon, which I rarely do, and since it
was the middle of the afternoon, I thought Id try to load up my homebrew
Cobra antenna on 17m. Â*I had tuned it up on 17m before, and while I failed
to make any contacts at that time, it seemed to work just fine.

This time, however, while the antenna tuned up OK, I seemed to be getting
into electronics all over the house. I could hear my signal coming through
the speakers in my office, which is just above the shack, and my wife said
she could hear me on the TV. In spite of the noise, I managed a quick QSO
with a PY station.

Transmitting on the other bands seems to be noise free, so Im not sure
whats going on on 17m. Any thoughts?
Short DX, long contact

Later that evening, I answered a CQ from Ulrich, AC8PL. As it turns out, he
lives only 1.4 miles from me, according to QRZ.Com. We had a nice long
chat, though.
Two RI contacts in one day

Because its a small state, lots of hams need Rhode Island for Worked All
States. Ive never had trouble working the Ocean State, which is the
smallest state in the Union.

On Sunday, I worked two RI stations, including W1ZY at 1700Z on 40 m and
WA1SKQ on 30 m at 1930Z . It was my first contact with W1ZY, but my fifth
with WA1SKQ.Â*I wonder what the odds are of two CW contacts with RI stations
in the same day?

The post Operating Notes: Generating RFI on 17m, 1.4 mile DX, 2 RI QSOs
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.