Old May 20th 04, 06:58 AM
J999w

Default Roll your own QSL cards?

I just printed up some homebrew QSL cards on 110lb paper on my PC. Turned out
pretty good for a cheap card.

Anyone else roll their own? Tips?

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 20th 04, 11:26 AM
F8BOE

Yes I do it with WB8RCR's QSL Maker.

http://www.hfradio.org/wb8rcr/

It supports the "real official" QSL dimensions (140X90mm)

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Old May 20th 04, 12:10 PM
Fred McKenzie

I just printed up some homebrew QSL cards on 110lb paper on my PC. Turned
out
pretty good for a cheap card.

JW-

I have some Avery postcard stock with two 4" X 6" cards per sheet. I've have
been meaning to print some QSLs, but haven't gotten around to it. I wonder if
there are any templates around for the QSL information? I like the idea of a
personalized card for each QSO, rather than hand-printing the information.

Doing it yourself is handy, but the cost may be higher than you think. If you
were to have a quantity of cards printed at a print shop, they might cost less
per card. There is also the issue of inkjet prints fading over time. Cards
from a print shop may eventually fade, but not nearly as fast (unless your
printer uses pigment-based ink).

73, Fred, K4DII

Old May 20th 04, 01:44 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Fred McKenzie wrote:
per card. There is also the issue of inkjet prints fading over time. Cards
from a print shop may eventually fade, but not nearly as fast (unless your
printer uses pigment-based ink).

The QSLs I received from my first QSOs 30 years ago are surviving nicely.

Ironically, the newer cards aren't doing nearly as well.

Mostly, the problem seems to have to do with computer-printed report
forms and stickers. The ink on dot-matrix ribbons seems to be rather
susceptible to fading. And more than one QSL with the report form
printed on a mailing label seems to have lost its label.

Ink-jet printing also seems susceptible to damage from moisture. Get a
bit of water on it, and who knows what'll come out!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 20th 04, 02:41 PM
Richard Heindel

I use Avery 8359 postcards, 2 per sheet, and word. Picture and return address on the front and qsl info on
the back. Works great and can be changed easily.
Richard WB8KRN

Old May 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Just Another Opinion

Several roll ur own QSL card schemes at URL:
http://ac6v.com/dealers.htm#CRE

But if you use an inkjet printer and run high color density and print large
quantities -- you will go broke buying inkjet cartridges.
Tis OK for a few cards.

For large quantities, Tis a lot more economical to use QSL card printers at

I like Cheap QSL's ( good looking cards)
$10.00 a hundred No affiliation -- just a good printer

--
From one currently in the Cloaked Mode

Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art.
Charles McCabe (1856 - ), San Francisco Chronicle