Old May 23rd 04, 07:40 PM
Doug McLaren

Default $50+ speaker boxes ... why do people buy these?

So I went to the Belton, TX hamfest yesterday, and picked up a few
things ...

But I saw a number of speaker boxes that people were asking as much as
$70 for ... why would somebody pay this much for a speaker box? I
just don't get it.

It's just a box with a speaker in it. It's about the easiest thing in
the world to make yourself, or you could pick up one that was used in
something like a police car for around $10 (I saw some of those too.)
Or you could use one from a computer speaker (though the $3 models are
probably too crappy even for ham radio use.)

Do people want something that matches their radio equipment? Are they
collectors? Am I understimating the quality needed to accurately
reproduce a 800 hz CW signal or a SSB conversation?

--
Doug McLaren, "I must get up. There is much evil to do."
Old May 24th 04, 12:36 AM
Mike Coslo

Doug McLaren wrote:

So I went to the Belton, TX hamfest yesterday, and picked up a few
things ...

But I saw a number of speaker boxes that people were asking as much as
$70 for ... why would somebody pay this much for a speaker box? I
just don't get it.

It's just a box with a speaker in it. It's about the easiest thing in
the world to make yourself, or you could pick up one that was used in
something like a police car for around $10 (I saw some of those too.)
Or you could use one from a computer speaker (though the $3 models are
probably too crappy even for ham radio use.)

Do people want something that matches their radio equipment? Are they
collectors? Am I understimating the quality needed to accurately
reproduce a 800 hz CW signal or a SSB conversation?

1. Yup they are overpriced. Never understimate peoples desire to
overpay for something. Remember Hagen Dasz ice cream?

2. Lotsa coffee today? ;^) just kidding of course...

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 24th 04, 08:07 PM
Henry Kolesnik

When the radios were new you could by matching factory speakers for about
ten to twenty dollars and most hams being frugal used what they had on hand.
Now that many of those same radios are "collectable" there are as many
speakers around as people want. Supply low price is high, just like crude
oil. I saw the speakers as I was there .
--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old May 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:40:59 GMT, "Doug McLaren"
wrote:

|So I went to the Belton, TX hamfest yesterday, and picked up a few
|things ...
|
|But I saw a number of speaker boxes that people were asking as much as
|$70 for ... why would somebody pay this much for a speaker box? I
|just don't get it.
|
|It's just a box with a speaker in it. It's about the easiest thing in
|the world to make yourself, or you could pick up one that was used in
|something like a police car for around $10 (I saw some of those too.)
|Or you could use one from a computer speaker (though the $3 models are
|probably too crappy even for ham radio use.)
|
|Do people want something that matches their radio equipment? Are they
|collectors? Am I understimating the quality needed to accurately
|reproduce a 800 hz CW signal or a SSB conversation?

Apparently not according to the Parts Express catalog I received in
today's mail.

Audiophiles have ears so good that they seem to be willing to spend
$100 per foot for copper wire. (No, that's not a typo). Of course
this is "special" wire whose properties include allowing each
frequency to find its own path of least resistance.

This seems to be important even when there is only one frequency (60
Hz) involved, because the same "patented technology" allows
"incredibly fast and accurate transfer of power, blah, blah..." in a 6
foot power cord that can be had for only $492. At least it has
connectors on it, the $100/foot stuff just has spade lugs on the ends
(gold-plated of course).

For some laughs see:

http://www.soundstringcable.com/ss_product.html

It's refreshing to see that they were thoughful enough to print arrows
on the cable jacket so the electrons don't become confused and travel
in the wrong direction. This ensures uniform current and signal flow
to and from all components.

N7WS

Old May 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Wes Stewart

Old May 26th 04, 02:14 AM
Bob

I only wish I had been first with the monster cable type stuff to sell to "a
sucker born every minute"
Bob

Old June 5th 04, 02:12 AM
Ken Scharf

wrote:

|So I went to the Belton, TX hamfest yesterday, and picked up a few
|things ...
|
|But I saw a number of speaker boxes that people were asking as much as
|$70 for ... why would somebody pay this much for a speaker box? I
|just don't get it.
|
|It's just a box with a speaker in it. It's about the easiest thing in
|the world to make yourself, or you could pick up one that was used in
|something like a police car for around $10 (I saw some of those too.)
|Or you could use one from a computer speaker (though the $3 models are
|probably too crappy even for ham radio use.)
|
|Do people want something that matches their radio equipment? Are they
|collectors? Am I understimating the quality needed to accurately
|reproduce a 800 hz CW signal or a SSB conversation?

Apparently not according to the Parts Express catalog I received in
today's mail.

Audiophiles have ears so good that they seem to be willing to spend
$100 per foot for copper wire. (No, that's not a typo). Of course
this is "special" wire whose properties include allowing each
frequency to find its own path of least resistance.

This seems to be important even when there is only one frequency (60
Hz) involved, because the same "patented technology" allows
"incredibly fast and accurate transfer of power, blah, blah..." in a 6
foot power cord that can be had for only $492. At least it has
connectors on it, the $100/foot stuff just has spade lugs on the ends
(gold-plated of course).

For some laughs see:

http://www.soundstringcable.com/ss_product.html

It's refreshing to see that they were thoughful enough to print arrows
on the cable jacket so the electrons don't become confused and travel
in the wrong direction. This ensures uniform current and signal flow
to and from all components.

N7WS

Well a friend of mine and I couldn't tell the difference between
Monster cable and 12 gauge Romex feeding his subwoofers.
And don't tell me we have tin ears, my friend at least is quite
a pianist (and can tell the difference between live and memorex!).