Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 29th 04, 08:33 PM
Chuck Olson

Default Metcal RF generator

My Metcal RFG-30 soldering system power supply quit on me a week or so ago,
so yesterday I decided to look into
the problem. After removing 8 screws holding two bottom covers I was able
to slide out the front and back dress panels for very limited access to
fasteners. I couldn't find any way to unfasten the top cover which would
allow separating the two halves of the case, but that turned out to be
unnecessary. The single power transistor, an IRF130 TO-3 case FET was
mounted with nuts on studs that came up through the mounting holes. One end
had a Nylon shoulder washer under the nut but the other end made electrical
contact with the case and was found to be barely finger tight. Since that
had to be the drain connection to the device, I gently firmed up that
fastener and reattached the cables to test the unit - - back in operation.
I was particularly impressed with the toroidal power transformer in the
base - - that had to cost the manufacturer some serious cash. If anyone
knows how to remove the plastic top panel, that knowledge will help improve
the serviceability of this excellent product.

Chuck W6PKP