Old August 19th 04, 08:16 PM
Joe LeKostaj

Default ARRL Radio Designer

Am looking for some basic RF design software that can run on an older PC
laptop (Pentium II 266 MHz). I know ARRL doesn't sell Radio Designer
anymore, but I'd be interested in getting a used copy of it or an
equivalent that'll run on my older computer. Any suggestions? It'll be
used just for hobby-level stuff, nothing very intensive.

Tnx & 73,
Joe K9LY
Old August 20th 04, 10:02 AM
Andrew Tweddle

Joe LeKostaj wrote:
Am looking for some basic RF design software that can run on an older PC
laptop (Pentium II 266 MHz). I know ARRL doesn't sell Radio Designer
anymore, but I'd be interested in getting a used copy of it or an
equivalent that'll run on my older computer. Any suggestions? It'll be
used just for hobby-level stuff, nothing very intensive.

Tnx & 73,
Joe K9LY

I think the student version 8.5 of Serenade is basically the updated
version . The product that ARRL designer is made from was one of the
last versions of SuperCompact before the company became Ansoft.

This webpage has plenty of ideas.

http://www.rfengineer.cc/rftools.htm

regards Andrew

Old August 20th 04, 07:05 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Andrew Tweddle wrote:

I think the student version 8.5 of Serenade is basically the updated
version.

Serenade is no longer available.

Ansoft does offer a free feature-limited "student" version of its
successor product "Ansoft Designer". I've heard that this student
version lacks some capabilities which were available in Serenade. I
haven't tried it out myself.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old August 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
Jim Pennell

Depending on what you want to do, you might try RFSIMM99 which is a fairly
powerful S parameter simulator program.

It is free and if you do a search for that name you ought to get a lot of
sites to download it from.

=============

When I set the passive components to use real world models, I can enter
the self resonant frequencies and so on from the catalog for the particular
component I want to use.

Then, running Random Simulation mode, I can find if my design has critical
components. I like that !!!

The ability to include real world parasitics is a nice part of the
program, and I use it to keep my designs as tolerant of the actual
components as possible.

Jim Pennell
N6BIU

Old August 31st 04, 09:18 PM
Lasse SM5GLC

Jim
thanks for a great tip! Downloaded the 2MBsetup-file. Runs great on my
XP machine and I am confident it will be very handy! Never heard of
this one before! Thumbs up!

/Lasse SM5GLC