Old September 26th 04, 08:11 PM
Bill N2CQR MOHBR

Default Getting RF amp stable

I've built a little RF amp (for 20 meters) using a single MTP3055V
MOSFET.
Class AB, binocular core RF transformer in the output. I drive it
with
a homebrew 20 meter DSB rig.

Here is the problem: The amp works fine IF I take the low pass filter
out of the circuit. I'm using a groundplane antenna with a T network
tuner.
I can adjust it to make it look like 50 ohms. Without the low pass
filter,
I get a very nice clean output (looks good on a scope, and SWR is low,
so I don't think it is putting out spurs or harmonics).

But if I include the LP filter in the circuit, the amp takes off,
turning
into an 18 Mhz oscillator!

I checked the filter with a sig generator. The cutoff freq is where
it is
supposed to be.

I've had this kind of problem before, with other amps.

Any suggestions?

73 de Bill M0HBR CU2JL N2CQR
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr
Old September 29th 04, 12:40 AM
Skipp says

Just a 50 cent plug for the yahoo group rfamplifiers. You might join the
group and ask your question over there. More than one RF Amp Engineer
hangs around to bounce your questions off.

good luck
cheers
skipp

just go to the main www.yahoo.com page, type in yahoo groups. Then type in
rfamplifiers and join.

Old September 29th 04, 11:41 AM
Eamon Skelton

Bill N2CQR MOHBR wrote:

But if I include the LP filter in the circuit, the amp takes off,
turning
into an 18 Mhz oscillator!

I have found that the best way to build a stable amplifier is
to try and build an oscillator. To build a guaranteed to start
first time, every time oscillator, just try to build a stable
amplifier :-)

Follow good HF/VHF practice with the circuit layout.

Negative feedback can sometimes help (or make the problem worse).

Pay careful attention to power supply decoupling. The very
high LF gain of RF transistors can cause parasitic oscillation
at the resonant frequency of an L/C or R/C decoupling circuit.

Try the usual parasitic suppression tricks. A low value resistor
or ferrite bead in series with the FET gate. A ferrite bead
in series with the FET drain. A resistor in parallel with the
drain load inductor or transformer, as suggested by Allison.

Sometimes it can be easier and faster to start again with
a different layout than to debug a 'bad' circuit.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply via e-mail.
Linux 2.6.7