Old October 6th 04, 10:08 PM
GeorgeF

Default Parts Sources OnLine

Just getting back into homebrewing and looking for the best sources of
parts such as resistors, caps, boxes, etc.....

Right now I'm need of a source of MGFxxxx gaasfets.

Another question, is there a good online source where I can get specs on
gaasfets, npn's transistors, etc.....

George
Old October 7th 04, 09:15 AM
Eamon Skelton

GeorgeF wrote:
Just getting back into homebrewing and looking for the best sources of
parts such as resistors, caps, boxes, etc.....

Right now I'm need of a source of MGFxxxx gaasfets.

http://www.ghengineering.co.uk/index.htm

and

http://www.xs4all.nl/~barendh/Indexeng.htm

Another question, is there a good online source where I can get specs on
gaasfets, npn's transistors, etc.....

http://www.google.com

MGFxxx are Mitsubishi devices. The PDF data sheets are
often called part number.pdf. The MGF1302 filename is
mgf1302.pdf

http://www.mitsubishichips.com

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply via e-mail.
Linux 2.6.7
Old October 7th 04, 01:50 PM
xpyttl

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
nk.net...

Just getting back into homebrewing and looking for the best sources of
parts such as resistors, caps, boxes, etc.....

Others have mentioned DigiKey - they are certainly my bread and butter parts
source. Customer service is second to none, they have decent prices and
most of the "normal" stuff. They are a little weak, however, on RF parts.

Dan's Small Parts and Kits http://danssmallpartsandkits.net has a lot of the
hard to get stuff, and generally at very, very good prices. However, he
only takes orders by snail mail, so with the post office being used in two
directions, you need to be prepared to wait a while.

W8DIZ http://partsandkits.com has a selection of toroids, and assorted other
parts. He doesn't have a lot of stuff, but what he does have is usually at
very good prices.

BG Micro http://www.bgmicro.com has a changing collection of stuff.
Sometimes you can get very good deals on things like LCDs, cases and
switches. They tend to be the high-priced spread on crystals and IC's,
however. Also, sometimes their stuff is surplus or pulls. Be sure to read
carefully.

For hardware, Mendelsohn's http://www.meci.com is a great source. They have
some pretty strange stuff and their collection changes all the time. Like
BG, for some things they seem to be a little pricey, but for others, they
can't be beat. If you get a chance to go to Dayton, plan on bringing back
many pounds of nuts and bolts from these guys. Typically they will sell
many hard to get little bits by the pound.

If you need some RF thingie badly, RF Parts http://www.rfparts.com is
sometimes the only place. They seem to have the highest prices on the
planet, but if you need a high power RF transistor or a transmitting cap,
there may be no other source.

Another question, is there a good online source where I can get specs on
gaasfets, npn's transistors, etc.....

Poke the part number into Google. Generally it will return links to
datasheets in more languages than you knew there were.

Old October 7th 04, 09:08 PM
xpyttl

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:50:48 -0400, "xpyttl"
wrote:

RF Parts also has a $25. minimum order.

True. But at twenty bucks for a 2SC1968 it's pretty easy to reach $25!

DigiKey has, or maybe used to have, a fee for orders under $25, but they
have so much stuff I can't live without that it's never an issue! Most
places are going to charge $5-$10 for shipping, too, so tiny orders are a
problem anyway.

One thing I should mention with DigiKey ... look at the shipping options and
specify what you want. Their "default" seems to be 2nd day air, which can
be pricey. Where I am, it sometimes saves a day, sometimes not, so at least
for me, it's never worth it. But if you have to have that part tomorrow,
DigiKey will ship it today if you call them before 8 PM Central time.

Once I ordered a part from them that needed special programming. Their
programming person had left for the day so they were all in a panic when
they realized they couldn't ship that evening. I told them it wasn't a big
deal, but at 10 the next morning they called again to assure me that my $3
part had made it onto a truck.

Old October 8th 04, 06:54 AM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
[...]

Agreed, the Digi-Key guys are hardcore. I once posted a message to this
group criticizing the company for using expiring tokens in their part-
lookup URLs, and they actually saw it and responded to the criticism
with a workaround.

Digi-Key is not the cheapest vendor out there, but they set the standard
for everyone else to follow when it comes to service. It's not unfair
of them to charge extra for orders under $25. I don't want them losing
money on MY order (not that THAT will ever happen).

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam