Old October 16th 04, 09:58 AM
Prune

Default Large capacitor question

I got several used tin can capacitors, 40 uF @ 3 kV, about 8 pounds each,
probably film in oil. With such capacitors, is there any potential problem
if I do not keep them upright during operation?? Normally I would assume
that wouldn't be an issue, but I've never used such heavy caps before, and
especially as they are old with a few small dents on the casings, I'm
worried whether stuff may shift inside if I work them horiziontally.
Old October 16th 04, 02:01 PM
John Walton

If you're General Electric you punch them full of holes and throw them in
the Hudson River north of Poughkeepsie.

Old October 16th 04, 06:29 PM
Bob

If there is any need to orient them in a particular way it would so state on
the can. Usually they will operate in any position.

73, Bob

Old October 16th 04, 10:59 PM
Fred McKenzie

I got several used tin can capacitors, 40 uF @ 3 kV, about 8 pounds each,
probably film in oil. With such capacitors, is there any potential problem
if I do not keep them upright during operation??

Prune-

They will most likely operate in any orientation. On the other hand, I've had
several different oil-filled capacitors leak, so it is best to orient them with
the seals up.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 18th 04, 01:38 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:58:51 GMT Prune wrote:

I got several used tin can capacitors, 40 uF @ 3 kV, about 8 pounds each,
probably film in oil. With such capacitors, is there any potential problem
if I do not keep them upright during operation??

It's probably pointless to generalize, but I noticed that the data
sheets from some of our very large (more that 100 pounds) energy
storage capacitors state that they can be operated in any position
except terminal end down.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Old October 19th 04, 02:17 AM
Terry

"John Walton" wrote in message
If you're General Electric you punch them full of holes and throw them in
the Hudson River north of Poughkeepsie.

Oh you mean the ones with PCBs in them?