Old October 29th 04, 04:55 AM
W2RAC

Default CATV Hardline

I am trying to see if I can use some surplus 1/2 inch hardline
"feeder" for my 2m ssb loops and 440 sat antenna.
So far I can use my ssb loops from 144 to 145.4 under 2 to 1 swr.
And again from 146.5 to 148 as well. Keeping the Resistance at about
50 Ohms. The antenna SWR is 1.7 to 1 without the hardline.

Anyone else using CATV hardline for above HF freq.

W2RAC
IRLP 4053
Echolink 40531
Old October 29th 04, 10:19 AM
Active8

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:55:36 GMT, W2RAC wrote:

I am trying to see if I can use some surplus 1/2 inch hardline
"feeder" for my 2m ssb loops and 440 sat antenna.
So far I can use my ssb loops from 144 to 145.4 under 2 to 1 swr.
And again from 146.5 to 148 as well. Keeping the Resistance at about
50 Ohms. The antenna SWR is 1.7 to 1 without the hardline.

Anyone else using CATV hardline for above HF freq.

Sure. Chief tech in Lafayette, IN. has hardline all over his tower.
He even uses CATV electronics. An LE or Bridger's return module
works to say 50 MHz and the forward modules go beyond 1 GHz these
days with roughly 25 dB gain and what? 55 dBmV or so output. The
bitch is needing a coring tool for every size of P3, QR. MC^2, etc.
and the damned pin connectors ain't cheap. IIRC, a line splitter or
DC was $450 ($250?) 8 yrs ago. I figure a power inserter might be
the same. I'd take used gear and rework or build the actual itty
bitty passive circuit if needed. The power passing stuff is just
peripheral to all that and won't need to be messed with, anyway.

The ARRL HDBK has a 75 to 50 ohm torroidal xfmr. Dipoles and such
should match real well, leaving any other matching equip near the
rig.

The modular design of CATV equip is outstanding for commo systems
inside or out in the weather. It's just big gear because of the
power passing capability.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

75 OHM hardline on VHF and UHF W2RAC Antenna 2 November 20th 04 02:47 AM
CATV splitter question Jerry Antenna 11 November 15th 04 12:44 AM
CATV splitter question Jerry Antenna 3 November 5th 04 12:31 PM
Hardline useage, pro's and cons aunwin Antenna 4 June 20th 04 06:22 PM
Make your own hardline? Ian White, G3SEK Antenna 7 August 17th 03 06:32 PM